Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I going to be emergency taxed?

Options
  • 27-06-2014 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I'm utterly useless when it comes to anything to do with tax as all jobs I've had before my current one have been casual cash in hand types.

So I was warned by my coworkers I'd be emergency taxed for my first month's paycheck because I was an idiot and left it too late to post off my application for tax credits, have barely been home the last couple of weeks and so have only posted it today. Was pretty prepared to be emergency taxed a substantial amount but I just got my payslip today and I haven't been emergency taxed at all, under 'nett pay' is the full amount I've earned this month minus the USC. There is nothing on my payslip to say anything about emergency tax at all. Bearing in mind this is the first official payslip I've ever received so I'm still trying to figure out what everything on it means.

Am I in the clear or is it that my employer simply still has to subtract emergency tax before actually putting the money in my account? If I am in the clear, why am I?!

They do have my PPSN (apparently this has some bearing on it?) and the payslip has PAYE on it. Really confused as I am still trying to learn what everything means and how it all works so any advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks <3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Beeatrixx wrote: »
    I'm utterly useless when it comes to anything to do with tax as all jobs I've had before my current one have been casual cash in hand types.

So I was warned by my coworkers I'd be emergency taxed for my first month's paycheck because I was an idiot and left it too late to post off my application for tax credits, have barely been home the last couple of weeks and so have only posted it today. Was pretty prepared to be emergency taxed a substantial amount but I just got my payslip today and I haven't been emergency taxed at all, under 'nett pay' is the full amount I've earned this month minus the USC. There is nothing on my payslip to say anything about emergency tax at all. Bearing in mind this is the first official payslip I've ever received so I'm still trying to figure out what everything on it means.

Am I in the clear or is it that my employer simply still has to subtract emergency tax before actually putting the money in my account? If I am in the clear, why am I?!

They do have my PPSN (apparently this has some bearing on it?) and the payslip has PAYE on it. Really confused as I am still trying to learn what everything means and how it all works so any advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks <3

It sounds like your employer is using emergency tax procedures. As you have provided your pps you are not subjected to the full 41% on everything just yet. You will be if Revenue do not get you registered correctly soon.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/emergency-basis.html

Advertisement