Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android SMS Malware

Options
  • 27-06-2014 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

RangeR wrote: »

Anyone who downloads and installs something like that deserves what they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

I was going to say that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭droidman123

projectgtr wrote: »

I wouldn't agree with that at all.there a lot of people out there who are not tech savvy.personally I wouldn't fall for it,but there are lots of young kids with android phones who mightn't have a clue what they are clicking on. No one "deserves" that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Most Android devices have a settings option to limit the sources for app packages that may be installed, for example on the Samsung Galaxy S4 it is restricted to the Google Play Store. I suggest that's the way to have it.

I wouldn't agree with that at all.there a lot of people out there who are not tech savvy.personally I wouldn't fall for it,but there are lots of young kids with android phones who mightn't have a clue what they are clicking on. No one "deserves" that.

Most of the phones have "other sources" disabled for a reason, so they would have to turn that off first, that shows me they are savvy enough to deserve what they get :D

• Advertisement

Most of the phones have "other sources" disabled for a reason, so they would have to turn that off first, that shows me they are savvy enough to deserve what they get :D

Nope,I still don't think anyone deserves it.the only people who deserve anything bad, is the scumbag virus originators who prey on vulnerable people with these scams

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

daytob wrote: »
    I was going to say that

Very elitist views there. I hope yer never on the receiving end of something that someone else thinks you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The only way to install this would be to have turned off the safety setting for App installations. Your average user is not going to delv in the Security settings to do so.

It's a bit like getting a virus on a PC or Mac, if you click the link you don't know that came from someone or something you've never heard of, you're kind of asking for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Come on if they get it they deserve it. If they install it they have to have to have the setting to allow apps to be turned on from other sources on which shows some degree of tech competence. So its there own fault really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I'll end this discussion here. You guys obviously don't need any help.

<reported to close>

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »
    I'll end this discussion here. You guys obviously don't need any help.

<reported to close>

Close why? Because there's a discussion taking place??

Look its my honest opinion that if someone is turning off failsafes that protect them they are taking matters into their own hands. Its not an honest mistake like simply clicking a link, its turning on allow other sources, clicking a link, and allowing an apk to download then installing it!

I have often unticked the allow unknown sources box when i am sideloading apk,s, its easily done to forget tick the box again.

I have often unticked the allow unknown sources box when i am sideloading apk,s, its easily done to forget tick the box again.

I do it myself all the time but I know the risk involved and I make sure as much as possible that its from a reliable source. But if it goes wrong it's only me to blame.

I do it myself all the time but I know the risk involved and I make sure as much as possible that its from a reliable source. But if it goes wrong it's only me to blame.

Yes,its only you to blame.....but that doesnt mean you deserve it.i understand your point about the onus of security being on the device owner, but it happens to the best of us to lapse now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I honestly haven't seen any Android malware since android 2.3...

And that came from a marketplace app!

I believe Google run malware checks on the play store apps nowadays and also monitor 3rd party app installs with play services.... (on KK anyway)

Edit : just to add, I'm not saying malware ain't out there, just I haven't seen much, in saying that I was on Katproxy on my phone the other day and a dodgy apk came off some add but I just cancelled it....

Advertisement