Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apostille Authentic Stamp question

Options
  • 27-06-2014 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hope someone can help me,

A friend of mine is getting married in October in Malta, she was born in South Africa to Irish parents and only lived there for a few months.

She was baptised in N. Ireland and holds a British passport.
    Trying to find out if she needs an Apostille Authentic Stamp on her SA birth cert to get married? The issue is that the embassy have said it needs to go back to SA to get this stamp and will take 3 to 6 months.

Any advice help much appreciated!

I also posted in Legal but thought I should post here too just incase.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, she'll need one. My fiancé was born in Germany but has an Irish passport and has lived here all his life, and he still needed one :rolleyes:. Although we had a point of contact in the town where he was born, and it only took about 2 weeks in total to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 winterwest17

Thanks Faith. Ill let her know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Unfortunately apostilles are only done in the country of origin itself, embassies cannot do this. It would be best if she were able to send her documents to a friend/relative in SA, otherwise maybe check if she can post it to their offices directly and pay for return postage.
    It doesn't take months, but it will take time to find out the options and post and receive her documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 winterwest17

Thanks for that. The Embassy said it must go through them as they need her fingerprints. She has no family or friends living there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

oh, sorry, didn't know some countries did fingerprinting for the apostille. My embassy wouldn't have anything to do with it, just had to sort it out directly with the offices in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Same with the German embassy, they wouldn't have anything to do with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Irish passport holder, resident in UK, UK marriage cert...

Does the Irish passport office require an apostilled copy of the UK marriage cert, or do they "recognise" UK certs as being official docs without the apostille for doing the change of name? Can't seem to find a relevant page on the website to deal with what is required for international docs.

Also, what is the approximate turn around time at the moment? Might be better to get a new UK passport sorted separately first so that there is at least one travel document available.

Advertisement