Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will a bad transcript hold my masters application back.

• 27-06-2014 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So yeah I got a 2.1 at 66% and want to apply for a masters in finance in either Trinity or UCD next year. However I'm just wondering will the fact that my transcript is terrible stop me getting onto a course. Basically I was made to believe in 1st year that it was only final year results that were taken into account for your degree grade, I took this to mean that no one would ever see the results for my first two years. SO I spent two years working in nightclubs, drinking a lot etc. I failed and repeated and only started taking things seriously for the big push at the end. It wasn't until I started looking at masters that I saw they required transcripts.

Basically my question is this; on the UCD and trinity websites is has their requirements as a 2.1 in a related degree, am I to take this as a 2.1 and you are in or is the 2.1 a bottom line requirement.

All advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mdolly123

Your first two years are not too important if your final two years are markedly improved. Your overall award should be what counts, obviously other applicants will take precedent if their scores and experience trump yours, You should contact the school for advice on criteria that could improve your application

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Basically my question is this; on the UCD and trinity websites is has their requirements as a 2.1 in a related degree, am I to take this as a 2.1 and you are in or is the 2.1 a bottom line requirement.

That means a 2.1 is the minimum required for applying. Some masters courses will say applications from a 2.2 student will be considered, but the norm is that a 2.1 is the minimum required.

What is much more important is the personal statement side of the application. These are heavily weighted and is the thing most likely to either make or break your application. Successful candidates are picked by a board, so while other applicants may have a 1.1, they aren't automatically guaranteed to get an offer based on their results.

66% would be considered a good 2.1, so there is no reason not to apply. I don't know why you'd consider it a bad transcript. In most cases they will only look for 4th year results.

Good luck with the application

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

Apply anyway and see. Sometimes they might consider the application is you have work experience to go with it, a great personal statement or, in some lucky cases, they may have a few extra places on a course. Best of luck with it.

Advertisement