Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need advice on how to remove slugs

Options
  • 27-06-2014 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi need advice i just noticed last two night that my decking in my back garden is covered in long grey slugs at night there must 30 of the horrible slimy yokes. I have a jack Russell and am afraid he will eat them and get ill or worse hes a house dog so only goes out for to do his business .

is there a safe way to get rid of them something u could put down that wouldn't be harmful to dog or neighbours cat i just want them gone never seen them in my garden before wonder why i have no food out plants trees etc any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

If only dogs ate slugs that would make things so much easier and keep everyones seedlings safe. Or at least those who have a dog.

If you have nothing in your garden to interest them, then they are likely just making their way to the next doors seedlings and you don't have a whole lot to worry about.

I could be wrong, but I reckon the risk of your dog eating them and having an adverse reaction is pretty low. I've never heard of it before.

The reason they are out at the moment is because of the rain following the long dry spell. They don't like dry and they love damp, so they are in their element at the moment.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

There is a thread open at the moment here ..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057214016

You might find some interesting ideas. Dealing with slugs is a popular topic so if you use the 'Search this Forum' function at the top right of the Gardening main page you will find all the info you could possibly handle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

The slug likes a drop of beer. Honest.
    Put down a small container with a drop of beer in it. Must have shallow sides to allow entry for the critters. The next morning. Slugs. Dispose of them in any manner you feel fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

Yeah there beer trap is good, also they won't cross copper. Rock salt is good. If you want to be a bit more hands on get a bucket of salted water and go out at night and throw them into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭endacl

cindrella wrote: »
    Hi need advice i just noticed last two night that my decking in my back garden is covered in long grey slugs at night there must 30 of the horrible slimy yokes. I have a jack Russell and am afraid he will eat them and get ill or worse hes a house dog so only goes out for to do his business .

is there a safe way to get rid of them something u could put down that wouldn't be harmful to dog or neighbours cat i just want them gone never seen them in my garden before wonder why i have no food out plants trees etc any advice would be great.

Decking? Never mind the slugs on it. Its the rats under it you need to worry about. Good thing you've a jack russell...

• Advertisement
Advertisement