Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on increasing bench press

Options
  • 26-06-2014 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I am just wondering if there is any good techniques on how to increase my bench press ive been stuck on the same weight for along time. Also any good powders out there for building good mass ?? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I am just wondering if there is any good techniques on how to increase my bench press ive been stuck on the same weight for along time.

How's your form and whats your previous training been like? Volume usually works pretty well for bench.
    Also any good powders out there for building good mass ?? thanks

Have you got the rest of your diet in check? I don;t mean it has to be super strict or anything but do you have an idea of daily calorie consumption and macro levels your hitting? Even roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

What I find works for me anytime I hit a flat spot is that I stop doing that particular exercise for a week or two. Concentrate on the same muscles with different exercises. I go back a week later lifting less but find it easier to get up to my peak and go past it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Food is good for increasing mass. Barbell overhead press is good for increasing bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

hairyslug wrote: »
    What I find works for me anytime I hit a flat spot is that I stop doing that particular exercise for a week or two. Concentrate on the same muscles with different exercises. I go back a week later lifting less but find it easier to get up to my peak and go past it.

What he said. Drop it and start again. Mx it up between decline, incline and dumbell aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Food is good for increasing mass. Barbell overhead press is good for increasing bench.

^ Overhead pressing to strengthen your shoulders, work your lats to reinforce the shoulders as well. Make sure you're doing tricep work as well.

But drop your bench weight, and build back up getting in plenty of volume and use DBs and inclines as well to mix it up.

That's my two cents anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 IRISHAARON

Blacktie. wrote: »
    How's your form and whats your previous training been like? Volume usually works pretty well for bench.

I usually just 3 sets of 10 with increasing weight by little amounts... ive been doing a good bit of benching but stopped for 6 weeks and only got back and find it hard to lift now.

Have you got the rest of your diet in check? I don;t mean it has to be super strict or anything but do you have an idea of daily calorie consumption and macro levels your hitting? Even roughly?

yeh i do have a good diet i always have high protein foods like steaks and chicken breasts and eggs... like i have put on alot of muscle over the last two years but just not getting increases on weights

• Registered Users Posts: 4 conor renshaw

what weight are you lifting currently ?
    drop 10 kilo's and just lift till failure (you cant get the bar off your chest)
    3 sets of lifting to failure everyday for a week or however often your in the gym.
    week 2 go up 5 kilo's repeat same process
    week3 go 5 kilo's over what your lifting now and try 1 set of 10,1 set of 6 and 1 set till failure
    should get you back on track.
    im new to the gym but thats what my instructor had me do and im up to 50 kilo's might not sound alot to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

3 sets of lifting to failure everyday for a week or however often your in the gym.
    week3 go 5 kilo's over what your lifting now and try 1 set of 10,1 set of 6 and 1 set till failure
    im new to the gym but thats what my instructor had me do and im up to 50 kilo's might not sound alot to you

Don't do this.

im lifting with a 20kg bar and 25kg each side so 70kg. yeh i might keep down to 20kg for a while each side

so you lift an olypmic bar and 70 kilo
    yeah try what i said earlier and just stick on 2 2.5 plates in a weeks time
    do you have someone to spot you ?

• Advertisement

so you lift an olypmic bar and 70 kilo
    yeah try what i said earlier and just stick on 2 2.5 plates in a weeks time
    do you have someone to spot you ?

no see thats the problem i dnt have people to spot me my mates are to lazy to go gym and i dnt have a workout buddy to spot...

ust ask in the gym in in the same spot at the moment my gym partner pulled a muscle in his back so cant go hard unless an instructor is with me
    just ask most places are cool about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Try pause reps: hold the bar at the bottom, just slightly above your chest, for 2-3 seconds and drive up. You will have to drop the weight by 5-10 kg to finish a full set of 3x8. Worked for me. If lockout is your problem rather than getting it moving, then do more tricep work.

Bench in the power rack if you don't have a spotter or just don't push that last rep and avoid failure on a normal bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Linear progression, more posterior chain work, hit triceps/shoulders.

/close thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Squat Rack Curler

Bench with better form
    Bench more often

best advice you'll ever get.. and your routine likely sucks balls

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Do this,
    Linear progression,

...and this,
    Bench with better form

Reducing by 10kg and killing yourself with failure everyday is a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

I too had hit a plateau in the past few weeks with my BP.
    My solution (not yet proven!!) has been to reduce my reps but increase the weight I'm lifting.

I plateaued at:
    10 reps @ 70kg
    9 reps @ 72.5kg
    8 reps @ 75kg
    7 reps @ 77.5kg

Now and for the next couple of weeks I'll progressively overload from these reps sets:
    8 reps @ 75kg
    7 reps @ 77.5kg
    6 reps @ 80kg
    5 reps @ 82.5kg

I'll then return to the higher volume reps sets after the two weeks, hopefully at 10 reps @ 75kg and crack onwards and upwards. Well that's the plan anyhow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

overhead press,barbell floor press,one arm dumbell floor press

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Watch these videos many many times
    Jump on a proven program
    Eat more food/gain weight
    Bench goes up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

How's sleep, squat and deadlift going?

• Advertisement
Advertisement