Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding graduate medicine

Options
  • 26-06-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I got my HPAT results on Monday and sadly I won't be studying medicine in September although I do intend on trying the HPAT again next year. However, I'm now confused as to what I should put as number one on my CAO and am looking for advice.

I'm stuck between studying biomedical science in UCD/ Trinity or studying nutrition and dietetics in DIT. Which degree would be more useful when applying to study graduate medicine? Does anyone have any personal experience of these courses?

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭RainBow_xo

smtp95 wrote: »
    I got my HPAT results on Monday and sadly I won't be studying medicine in September although I do intend on trying the HPAT again next year. However, I'm now confused as to what I should put as number one on my CAO and am looking for advice.

I'm stuck between studying biomedical science in UCD/ Trinity or studying nutrition and dietetics in DIT. Which degree would be more useful when applying to study graduate medicine? Does anyone have any personal experience of these courses?

Thanks for the help

I would opt for biomedical science as it will equip for the basic sciences you need in medicine. That being said, you will need to get at least a 2:1 to be eligible for graduate entry, so bear that in mind when choosing.

Biomedical science is also a good option if you would like to apply to the UK grad schools. A lot of the universities look for an allied science degree.

I'm not too sure about the other course, as I studied biomed (I will be starting graduate entry in sep) and I really feel my degree will help me through the first two years anyway! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35 smtp95

RainBow_xo wrote: »
    I would opt for biomedical science as it will equip for the basic sciences you need in medicine. That being said, you will need to get at least a 2:1 to be eligible for graduate entry, so bear that in mind when choosing.

Biomedical science is also a good option if you would like to apply to the UK grad schools. A lot of the universities look for an allied science degree.

I'm not too sure about the other course, as I studied biomed (I will be starting graduate entry in sep) and I really feel my degree will help me through the first two years anyway! :P

Thanks so much for talking the time to reply! I think that you're right, I'm going to go with biomed as medicine is what I really want to do.

Out of interest, did you get your place in the graduate entry program straight out of college? Congratulations on getting the place as I know it's not easy to get in!

Thanks so much for talking the time to reply! I think that you're right, I'm going to go with biomed as medicine is what I really want to do.

Out of interest, did you get your place in the graduate entry program straight out of college? Congratulations on getting the place as I know it's not easy to get in!

No, I did my masters first (I had to save money to sit the GAMSAT) and then I applied. I would have applied in my final year if I could have afforded it :)

RainBow_xo wrote: »
    No, I did my masters first (I had to save money to sit the GAMSAT) and then I applied. I would have applied in my final year if I could have afforded it :)

Well congratulations! Hopefully the GAMSAT will suit me better than the HPAT. All the best with your studies, and thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

Thanks for the help

Definitely Biomedical Science.

• Advertisement

miissjuly wrote: »
    Definitely Biomedical Science.

Thanks for the help. I'm decided on biomed now :)

Well congratulations! Hopefully the GAMSAT will suit me better than the HPAT. All the best with your studies, and thanks for the advice :)

You are most welcome and thank you very much :D I hope you enjoy biomed as much as I did! It will really stand to you when sitting the GAMSAT and starting grad med ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Biomedical Science in UCD isn't actually Biomedical Science. You don't become qualified to become a biomedical scientist after the degree as the only biomedical science degree approved by the biomedical council in the republic of Ireland is the degree from DIT. Apparently the degree in UCD is a waste of time as a lot of it is research and theory whereas the biomedical science degree in DIT is very work orientated.

Advertisement