Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which maternity hospital in Dublin?

Options
  • 26-06-2014 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

Between Holles St. or Rotunda.. Anyone know if Holles St. has seperate labour suites or is it like open plan? That's what rotunda is like, from what I've been told

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Rotunda isn't open plan, the pre and post natal wards have 8 or 10 beds in them, but they have private delivery rooms for when you're in established labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

All hospitals have private delivery rooms, once you are in established labour you will be transferred there (established labour is usually 3cms or if you're being induced by oxytocin you will be brought to a delivery room). You usually either labour at home until you are ready to come to hospital or if you come to hospital too early they will put you in the pre-labour unit (in the Rotunda this is the annex and there are six beds there, it's usually used for inductions too but I was there in 2011 for observation after my waters broke because I had had a csection on a previous birth and they wanted to keep me in to monitor me).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

All are similar. If you're not in established labour you'll be on a communal ward until you're ready to be transferred to a delivery room. I was happy with Holles St. You'll hear good and bad about the three hospitals so pick the one closest to you or go with one which suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

My girlfriends friend was in the rotunda and was told the labour ward didn't have seperate suits.. Her mom was the same.. Booking with Holles Street anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    My girlfriends friend was in the rotunda and was told the labour ward didn't have seperate suits.. Her mom was the same.. Booking with Holles Street anyway!

The labour ward they were in was probably the one women are in before you're moved to delivery suites. I've never heard of communal delivery suites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

lazygal wrote: »
    The labour ward they were in was probably the one women are in before you're moved to delivery suites. I've never heard of communal delivery suites.

Yep gave birth in rotunda on wednesday...was in communal ward in delivery area for induction then youre moved to a private delivery suite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I'd go with wherever is closest to her workplace personally... I work across the road from the Rotunda so it was a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭AlanG

All much the same - all have private delivery suites and communal pre and post delivery areas. All have good medical staff. Rotunda is closer to Temple street if there are serious complications but in any case the baby wont be transferred until stable so the extra few minutes should not make a real difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Holles street have one shared delivery suite there is a curtain though. They only use it as an absolute worse case scenerio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

AlanG wrote: »
    All much the same - all have private delivery suites and communal pre and post delivery areas. All have good medical staff. Rotunda is closer to Temple street if there are serious complications but in any case the baby wont be transferred until stable so the extra few minutes should not make a real difference.

She's not in work, I'm just saying what I was told it was communal delivery suites.. Could be different now but anyway! Booked into Holles St. so panic over if she goes into labour anytime soon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

AlanG wrote: »

Most babies are transferred to Crumlin if there are serious complications such as neurological or heart problems, so the Coombe would be better in that respect. In fact, most pregnant women with children diagnosed with cardiac conditions in pregnancy have their care transferred to the Coombe because of this.

Advertisement