Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree Grading

Options
  • 26-06-2014 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew, or could tell me how to find out, how the final grade for a degree is calculated? I know most of it is based on 3rd year but how much of it exactly is made up of results from 1st, 2nd and 3rd year for a denominated arts degree? More specifically MH114?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Nothing from 1st year.
    They take 30% of your second year marks only if your second year marks are higher than your third year marks.
    Otherwise it's 100% from third year.

E.g. if you get 60 overall in second year and 50 in third year, they'll split it 30/70, so they'd give you 18% from second year and 35% from third year, giving you an overall degree mark of 53%.

Not a huge difference, but every now and then that extra percent or two can bump you up a grade.

All that's as far as I know... might be wrong... all the info is on the examinations website.

But I think you get an 'Honours' degree if you have a 2.2 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LisaNiChon

Ah thank you :) This helps

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Do you know if this is how they work out degree grades for MH101? Joint honours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Do you know if this is how they work out degree grades for MH101? Joint honours?
    yes, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Thanks ! do you know if you're just under a degree class would they give it to you? .. like 69.01 would that be a first or 59.01 be a 2.1 etc?

• Advertisement

Thanks ! do you know if you're just under a degree class would they give it to you? .. like 69.01 would that be a first or 59.01 be a 2.1 etc?

Because your marks for the year are out of 1000, it wouldn't be 69.01, but rather 69.1. But yes, that's a first.

How much a third year/final year mark goes for the dissertation?

LisaNiChon wrote: »
    How much a third year/final year mark goes for the dissertation?
    That depends on your course and your subjects - what are you doing? Just check the course breakdown and see how many credits it is.

it's only 10 credits over 2 semesters, which is just the same as one normal module per, but they made it sound make or break

Advertisement