Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Stop Birds Eating Apples

Options
  • 26-06-2014 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

This is probably done to death but my first post here

How do you stop birds eating apples when they are just getting ripe

I have a couple of apple trees one has beautiful sweet ripe apples (no idea of type planted tree 10 years ago and forgot what it was) every year 1st week of august birds will clean the trees of all apples. They wont touch other trees.

I've tried netting but it doesn't work. They won't touch apples until that 1 week they are nearly ripe.

Any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What was wrong with netting?

Plastic hawks might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

I seen birds walking in on the ground under net and then flying up in to the tree:mad:
    Maybe I need more netting and pin it to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

we cover the apples with a small paper bag in the evenings or when there is nobody around taking off for a few hours every day till they ripen. it's the colour that attracts them. Have had some success with this myself so might work for you as well. In our case the attacks were usually early in the mornings when we were not around.
    I would just pop the bags on in the evening and take off in the morning when I went out to the garden, opened the windows etc. Really did help
    Sounds a bit crazy but you usually only need to it for a week or so.

Advertisement