Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stress, jitters, or just a maniacal immune system?

Options
  • 26-06-2014 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

This is more of a "anybody else find this and if so how did you deal with it" post.

My wedding is 2 weeks away and I generally feel pretty calm about everything. We've been very organised and now all that's left are those final details.

So, even though I'm calm my body is acting like it's super stressed - this is primarily manifest by the fact my immune system seems to have thrown up its arms and given up.

A reoccurring rash has hit with a vengeance, I went to the doctor and am on anti-fungals and steroid cream. Despite being on anti-fungal medication a vicious outburst of athletes foot has erupted between my toes making sleep very difficult. I need to take senacot just to remain in any way regular (sorry if that's TMI) despite eating well, exercising plenty and being in what I would have thought was generally good health.

So - I'm treating all this but my morning and evening routines are beginning to feel like a mass of complex bathing rituals, application of creams and downing pills.

Anybody else's body decide to go crazy leading up to the wedding?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

It must be such an exciting time for you! A friend of mine would be a pretty chilled out person, but developed adult acne in the run up to her wedding.

You may not feel stressed, but your body feels it. Have you tried any relaxation techniques or meditation?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Not a wedding thing, but I broke out in a terrible rash on my thighs before my leaving cert - the only time it has ever happened. My tummy goes to hell before stressful events too, so it does just sound like your body is stressed, even if your mind is quite calm.

I'd suggest maybe practicing a bit of mindfulness over the next couple of weeks. It might calm your body down and bring it back in line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

I would be the same... any bit of anxiety at all used to give me eczema on literally 80% of my skin. I found breaking a routine to be exceptionally helpful... and even though it seems obvious-loads and loads of water.

I also have a tendency to write down things that may be causing me stress or even niggling me slight and evaluating it logically.. Going to bed an hour earlier was a huge help as well. Cut the dairy as well... not exclude completely but less milk in your tea...semi skimmed when cooking or having porridge. It all helps. Cheese is a killer for anything rash related for myself. Just concentrate on the honeymoon. ;)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

When I get stressed I come out in eczema too. I've had a really rough couple of years with illness/depression and at times it literally looked like I was wearing eczema leggings! Gross and itchy! I didn't get very stressed about my wedding at all, but I was really excited. I had asthma as a child and as an adult the only time it ever flares up is if I'm excited about something, so I was wheezing away like an broken hoover in the run up to the wedding. The excitement/stress also played havoc with my cycle and aunt flo ended up arriving on the morning of the wedding!

About the, er, bathroom issues :p add a few prunes on the side of your breakfast, and lots of oranges. Fibre is important, but too much will actually be counter productive. If you drink a lot of milk, cut right down. As Aoife said, it'll help your rash, and milk can also contribute to constipation. Also, if you're eating a lot of fruit, any more than 1 banana per day is going to cause you problems. In fact, if you're stopped up I'd recommend giving bananas a miss altogether. Coffee is meant to be good for keeping things regular. Also with the athlete's foot, since the weather's been alright recently, try to wear flip flops/sandals as often as possible to let the air at it - it'll help clear it up quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Thank you everyone - reading your experiences and advice has been very helpful.

With all these little issues I feel exhausted and quite down. I'm not getting a chance to enjoy the lead up or really experience the excitement - mostly I'm just irritable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh sounds like a bit of an ordeal.. Would be the Faith my tummy goes to pot when I get nervous and I start to scratch aswell, and scratching my head!! I found taken some arnica helps with some anxieties just takes a little edge off.

I can imagine you want to be enjoying the lead up, try and talk maybe about it to someone close or head away for a few days just you to chill, if you aren't in a great mood then you might get ratty at the wrong people and then feel worse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yup! Entirely normal. Broke out with eczema, migraines got worse, IBS kicked in with a vengeance. Oh yes - and I was moving in the same week...

Funny enough, the night before the wedding, I slept like a log. Must be something to do with the sleeping tablet I took! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Yep! Was pretty chilled in general and drinking lots of water, doing exercise and going for pampering stuff, but my rosacea went a bit crazy (nice weather we had recently may have been a factor), my IBS had its moments and I got weird dry skin/eczema thing right in between my ring and middle finger! Then I got insect bites on my shoulder (visible from dress), face and right on my foot where the strap of my shoe would rub off it. I get bites anyway, and again the weather didn't help as I'd all the windows open.

Thanks to the make up trial I knew I'd look alright on the outside! And tried to eat v well in the run up. I cut down on dairy as much as poss too but it was a bit late in the day to go off completely.

I was chilled as I said BUT you just don't notice how every flipping conversation becomes wedding centric in the last few weeks, between family, suppliers and nosy people in general! One of my nicest memores is going with my dad to collect the cake etc and talking about non wedding stuff the whole time! Also i had work stress too which messed me up. So relax, feeling weird is normal and try to prevent it as much as poss but make sure to have cures on the day like headache pills, immodium, gaviscon, rescue remedy or anything you know works OK for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Thank you again eveyone.
    I had a proper break down in the hairdresser last week and since then everything has been pretty good. My skin still hates me and I think I may be getting a cold but right now I'm not minding any of it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Dose up with lots of Vit C and Berocca!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

Massage is great..Really goo for mind and body.
    When i am going through busy times I might not feel too frazzled but my hair falls out by the handful..was in an awful way last September..going bald on top of head..it started growing back after a few months, but fingers crossed it wont start during the next month...

Advertisement