Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10k - Sub 40

Options
  • 26-06-2014 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Really want to get under 40 for the 10k. I managed 40:27 last week and I'm going to give it another go at the Fingal 10k next month.

What can I do to get it over the line and do I have enough time? Would really appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

How many weeks have you got? Assuming it's 3 or 4:

Week 1: 6 x 1 mile at target pace (6:24/mile or 3:58/km), with 3-5 mins rest between reps
    Week 2: 2 x 2 miles + 2 x 1 mile at target pace with 3-5 mins rest
    Week 3: (at least 7-9 days before race): 3 x 2 miles at target pace with 3-5 mins rest
    4/5 days out from race: 5 x 800m @ target pace

At the weekends include easy runs of 10-12 miles. Most of the rest of the time, just easy runs with strides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

martyoo wrote: »
    Hi all,

Really want to get under 40 for the 10k. I managed 40:27 last week and I'm going to give it another go at the Fingal 10k next month.

What can I do to get it over the line and do I have enough time? Would really appreciate any help.

Would you have 2kg weight to lose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

How many weeks have you got? Assuming it's 3 or 4:

I've three weeks. Thanks a lot for the plan. Will give it a go!

Would you have 2kg weight to lose?

I'm 5:6 at 72kg. Could lose a bit I suppose :)

I've three weeks. Thanks a lot for the plan. Will give it a go!
    Two things: that last workout shouldn't be done within 7 days of the race, as it'll take some recovery. Also, err on the side of caution, as making the start line is half the battle.

• Advertisement

Two things: that last workout shouldn't be done within 7 days of the race, as it'll take some recovery. Also, err on the side of caution, as making the start line is half the battle.

Thanks again. Just two things. How many sessions per week for that plan you posted? Also what amount of rest before the race would you recommend.

Thanks again. Just two things. How many sessions per week for that plan you posted? Also what amount of rest before the race would you recommend.
    Only one of those sessions per week. Also in that week, include a long run (similar to those you've been doing to date), and some easy runs with strides (to bring your mileage up to a consistent level to what you have been doing to date). If you've been running 20 miles per week, then stick close enough to that. The idea is that the sessions should just sharpen things up a little (and give you a confidence boost) but you should also arrive at the start line feeling good. In terms of rest, there's no need to taper for a 10k. In the days leading up to the race, stick to easy running (as much as you normally do), and the day before, maybe just do an easy 5k with some strides.

One question though: was your previous 10k achievement on a flat 'PB friendly' course? If, for example you ran in Dunshaughlin, you may find the Finglas 10k route a good bit tougher.

Thanks for all the good advice!
    One question though: was your previous 10k achievement on a flat 'PB friendly' course? If, for example you ran in Dunshaughlin, you may find the Finglas 10k route a good bit tougher.

Well this is the problem. The previous 10k was in Salthill on a very flat course. Now the one thing was that it was very hot and that did certainly slow me down but yes Fingal will be a lot tougher.

Advertisement