Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Top 10: Best Trash Talkers

Options
  • 26-06-2014 5:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭

So I was watching the WWE Countdown for best trash talkers and decided to do a weekly thing. Once a week I will come up with a new topic. You guys vote for your top 5 and we will make a top 10 (as best I can) of what ye vote for.

This week, we are going to start with what I saw. The top trash talkers in Wrestling History. The rules are as follows
    • 1. You can vote for any wrestler from any recognised promotion (ROH, WWE, TNA, Chikara, NJPW, Dragongate etc)
    • 2. You can only vote for 5 in order of preference from 5-1. 5th place equals 1 point, 4th equals 2 and so on
    • 3. All votes count. No agruing with anyone else's choices. What they decide is completely up to them so do not judge them for their opinions.
    • 4. Results are final. Voting will close each Wednesday at midnight. Votes after this time will not count
    • 5. In any non-gimmick round, votes will carry to their most popular name. However, you cannot vote for a person with different gimmicks (AKA Cody Rhodes and Stardust, only one will be taken from that vote)

With that being said let voting commence. I'll start

5. Stone Cold Steve Austin
    4. Bobby "The Brain" Heenan
    3. Paul Heyman
    2. The Rock
    1. Jake "The Snake" Roberts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

5. Mr McMahon
    4. Ric flair
    3. Jericho
    2. Austin
    1. The rock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

5. Piper
    4. Heyman
    3. Punk
    2. Austin
    1. Heenan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

3 lists and no mention of HBK?

Whatttttttt.

5 - Rude
    4 - Austin
    3 - HBK
    2 - Jericho
    1 - The Rock

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

A lot will depend on peoples definition of trash talk but for me The Rock is the example to point to for Trash talk, put downs etc some people like Foley for example are great on the Mic but he didnt really Trash talk. o and I love cheating with a / cos I cant decide in polls like these

1.The Rock
    2. Christ Jericho
    3,Austin / Heenan
    4.Piper
    5. Rick Rude

Thuganomics Cena deserves a mention as does Jerry Lawler (not recent Lawler, Kaufmann Lawler), Dusty Rhodes, CM Punk and how could I not mention The Iron Shiek!

If I had seen more of his stuff as it happened Flair would probably be in there too

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

1. Austin
    2. Rock
    3. Piper
    4. Scott Steiner
    5. Shawn Michaels

Plenty lost out, I do believe there are many who could be there, but the above were the best at it. Road Dogg was great at trash talking as was Flair and Savage as well as Rick Rude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

1. The Rock
    2. Austin
    3. Vince
    4. CM Punk
    5. Piper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Dave Mustaine
    Dave Araya
    Paul Baloff
    James Hetfield
    Phil Anselmo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Dave Mustaine
    Dave Araya
    Paul Baloff
    James Hetfield
    Phil Anselmo

Where's the Edge 'I see what you did there' pic when you need it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

1) Jake 'The Snake' Roberts
    2) The Rock
    3) 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper
    4) 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin
    5) Chris Jericho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

51681798.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Jake Roberts a trash talker?

Great promos, but a trash talker?

For me Rock is far and away number one.

Flair would probably be second.

Heel Austin was great too.

"Look at ya."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

1. The Rock
    2. Austin
    3. Jericho
    4. Flair
    5. Steiner

Honourable mention goes to Chael Sonnen :P He was originally at number 5 but I forgot about Jericho and he had to go in there somewher

• Registered Users Posts: 85,551 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

1. The Rock
    2. Chris Jericho
    3. SCSA
    4. Heenan
    5. Bully Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

JBL??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

JBL??
    Again, if you want to include him stick down some votes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Rocky and early WWE Jericho are streets ahead for me in the trash talking stakes.

1. The Rock
    2.Y2J
    3. Chris Champagne Canyon
    4.Austin
    5. D-lo brown

I'd be amazed if Rocky doesn’t finish this number one. I put in. Canyon and Austin for there excellent insults at times. And number 5 is just a case of hs crazy head movement and theme song were trash talking enough that he didn't need to be good at it on mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

1- CM Punk

2- Steve Austin

3- The Dudleys, namely Bubba Ray in ECW

4- Chris Jericho

5- John Cena (When he feels like it)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

The Iron Sheik x 5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

1. Shawn Michaels (Douchebag D-X Shawn. Putting the Degenerate in Degeneration X. Some of the stuff himself and HHH come out with towards the likes of Bret, Austin and the rest. Lines like "Sunny days" oozes five star trash talk).

2. “Rowdy” Roddy Piper. The guy wrote the book on trash talk. Rated probably higher than deserved but you have to take into account the ear he was centric to. The first superstar you’d probably class as a someone who excelled behind a mic more than in the squared circle. The abuse he gave Mr.T and that first Piper Pit where he makes some jobber guy look about an inch tall.

3. Steve Austin (Anything post Stunning Steve. His whole ECW career as short as it was pretty much his behind a mic destroying most of Dudya-See-Dudya. AUSTIN 3:16 was one of the biggest middle fingers to an opponent ever).

4. Jerry Lawler. Very like Bobby “The Brain” with one liners but where Heenan’s were mostly gags, Lawler said so much stuff about his opponents that was a bit too close for comfort. Some real nasty stuff.

5. The Rock/ Chris Jericho. Cut from the same cloth. Both quite catchphasey in their put downs which I think isn’t as heat leaden as cutting insults. We all know their shtick, it doesn’t really need to be noted. My fav of Jericho is him introducting the cruiserweight battle royal at WCW Slamboree 1998 and the Rock when he first meets the NWO on WWE TV.

So many honorable mentions- Flair, Bully Ray, The Miz (seriously), Punker, Heenan, Ventura, JBL, Thuganomics Cena, Rated R Edge, Kennedy, HHH.

I personally wouldn't class Jake “The Snake” as a real trash talker. Like Wyatt, he talks amazing talk but I would never have classed it as “trash talk”.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

Tough call. I'll go with
    5 thug cena
    4 cm punk
    3 paul heyman
    2 the rock
    1 jericho

So many more greats though. If you asked me in an hour i could give different answers. Jericho is always top for me though. Austin maybe should be in there but cant decide who goes out for him. I think scott steiner deserves a mention for his unintentional so bad its funny trash talk.

Would love a spot for triple h there too. I am a huge fan of his asshole heel mic work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

ShagNastii wrote: »
    1. Shawn Michaels (Douchebag D-X Shawn. Putting the Degenerate in Degeneration X. Some of the stuff himself and HHH come out with towards the likes of Bret, Austin and the rest. Lines like "Sunny days" oozes five star

Michaels? I always thought his promos were so tedious and forced, I loved his dx stuff but his promos were so over the top and forced I personally could never enjoy them, whereas someone like the Rock comes across as so natural! Felt the same with piper and Jericho like he tries to hard to say something funny

1.rock
    2.austin
    3.heyman
    4.Heel rapper Cena
    5.Vince (maybe I'm missin the point with this but the kiss my ass club and firing people is the ultimate trash talk to me)

Honourable mention to Punk whose I don't care attitude allowed him to put people down with insider references , his pipe bomb putting down the whole wwe and promos v Nash etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

1.Austin
    2.Rocky
    3.Jericho
    4.Ribble Aitch
    5.Vinnie Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Alright then, the results are in!

10. John Cena.-Just making the list (by a single point) is The Doctor of Thuganomics. While Cena can be good on the mic when he wants to as the face of the WWE, it was when he started first that he really showed what he could do. His rapping gimmick got over with the crowd and gave Cena the opportunity to be the star of the company which he took

9. Mr. McMahon- Taking 9th place is the boss. Whilst the audience knew him as a commentator who had no idea how to call moves, it was when he became centre focus as the authority not wanting Stone Cold to hold the belt that we saw the true nature of McMahon's skills on the mic as the tyrannical owner of WWF/E. Wrestlers soon found out that "Don't Cross the Boss" wasn't just a phrase, it was a mantra in the WWE.

8. Shawn Michaels- In 8th place is the Heart-Break Kid. A man who could talk thrash and then back it up in the ring. A man who would in no uncertain terms shoot straight at his opponents faces, insult everyone he could and the audience and still be loved. He could even make fun of you in the ring, memorably over selling each and every one of Hogan's moves in their match at Summerslam 2005 and following it up the next day with this brilliant promo
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11ajz_hbk-owns-hogan-masters_sport

7. Paul Heyman- Ladies and Gentlemen, next up on the list is the advocate for the 1 in 21 and 1. Paul Heyman has an ability not many others on this crowd have- to make you absolutely hate him. He can rile a crowd up in next to no time and still make you hate the fact your hating him. Heyman knows how to play a crowd, talk up his man and put down his opponent better than most.

Tied 5th- We have a tie for 5th. One man is a wrestler, the other perhaps the greatest manager of all time.

First up, CM Punk. The Second City Saint rose to prominence in the WWE with his "Straight Edge" lifestyle, great in ring ability and infamous mouth. From the now infamous pipe bomb to his incredible promo battle with The Rock, everytime CM Punk grabbed a mic you had no idea what was coming and we hung onto his ever word. His ability to put down nearly everyone in a single promo made him one of the must see guys in the entertainment business

In a tie with Punk is Bobby "The Brain" Hennan. One of the greatest managers in the history of the business made his name with his incredible mic work. His ability to talk up his guy and trash talk his opponent made The Brain one of the best guys in the business to work with. He brought over his amazing mic skills to commentary, routinely putting down his co-commentator with incredible lines. Bobby Hennan

4. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper- Rowdy Roddy Piper prided himself on being a dick. That's what he set out to be and he was good at it. Piper's Pit saw Roddy interviewing all of the hot names in the sport and almost unanimously ended with him getting in a fight. That's what happens when you take out a coconut and bash Jimmy Snuka in the head (which surely hurt like hell) and then shoved a banana in his face. It was a move he revived over 15 years later to Rikishi. Those are just two of many, many examples of over the top hooliganism perpetrated by Piper.

3. Chris Jericho- No surprise that Y2J is so far up on this list. From the moment he came into the WWF it was pretty obvious how good this guy was on the mic. Everything from getting into hilarious battles with The Rock, making fun of Stephanie McMahon's breasts and have the crowd laughing along with him at his opponent. It could also be seen in WCW from making fun of his opponent to beating him to a pulp. However, Jericho's best run on the mic was a heel. He could make the whole crowd boo him with just a phrase or even a word, as well as come up with imaginative comments for his opponents and the crowd. Brillant

2. Stone Cold Steve Austin- The only man who appeared on every persons list, Stone Cold is 2nd. The beer-swilling, trash talking, ass-kicking man from Texas could raise hell and get the crowd firmly behind him by insulting the person he was either in the ring with or feuding with at the time. He had the ability to back his threats up in the ring and when Stone Cold grabbed a mic the men in the ring knew they were in for a dressing down by The Rattlesnake. What?

1. The Rock.- Absolutely no surprise about the number 1 here. The Great One made his name with his trash talking in The Nation. The crowd began to love it as his catchphrases caught on. The Rock really took a life on his own after his WM15 match with Stone Cold, making fun of every single superstar, commentator and interviewer he could. Even after leaving for years once he came back you knew he still had it. It wasn't just what he said when he trash talked, it was how he said it. It made him one of the greatest trash talkers of all time.

Thanks guys for all the votes! Going to stick up another one on Wednesday which will be Greatest Valet's. If you have an idea for a top 10 message me and I'll put it in the mix with my ideas!

Advertisement