Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which course do you think I should do? Computer Sci. or Psychology

Options
  • 25-06-2014 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I'm planning on going to NUI Maynooth this September and as the CAO deadline isn't far away I decided to just look over the courses in Maynooth again. I've been certain for awhile that I wanted to do Computer Science and Software Engineering (MH203) in Maynooth but only there recently I found out that you can do Psychology through science with Maths and Computer Science (MH209), which I was delighted with because I wanted to do this beforehand but I didn't think you could.
    My main issue is that I'm afraid that I might end up not liking Psychology and I know you can transfer after First or Second year to MH201 with Computer Science and Maths but I was looking at Computer Science MH201 and Computer Science & Soft. Engineering MH203 and I noticed that you don't do as much in the Computer Science in MH201 than in Computer Science and Soft. Engineering MH203 and that you don't do a work placement in Computer Science MH201. I'm just wondering is it a major disadvantage if I end up transferring and doing Computer Science and Maths MH201 than instead just doing Computer Science and Software Engineering MH203 in the first place. I hope this makes some sort of sense.
    And also I am intersted in both Computer Science and Psychology, I know there is job oppurtunities in Computer Sciece but is there many in Psychology in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm planning on going to NUI Maynooth this September and as the CAO deadline isn't far away I decided to just look over the courses in Maynooth again. I've been certain for awhile that I wanted to do Computer Science and Software Engineering (MH203) in Maynooth but only there recently I found out that you can do Psychology through science with Maths and Computer Science (MH209), which I was delighted with because I wanted to do this beforehand but I didn't think you could.

My main issue is that I'm afraid that I might end up not liking Psychology and I know you can transfer after First or Second year to MH201 with Computer Science and Maths but I was looking at Computer Science MH201 and Computer Science & Soft. Engineering MH203 and I noticed that you don't do as much in the Computer Science in MH201 than in Computer Science and Soft. Engineering MH203 and that you don't do a work placement in Computer Science MH201. I'm just wondering is it a major disadvantage if I end up transferring and doing Computer Science and Maths MH201 than instead just doing Computer Science and Software Engineering MH203 in the first place. I hope this makes some sort of sense.
    And also I am intersted in both Computer Science and Psychology, I know there is job oppurtunities in Computer Sciece but is there many in Psychology in general?

I'm going into final year Psychology in NUIM and to answer your question briefly, no, there's not any employment opportunities at all following the completion of the Degree. You have to do a lot of Postgrad and Experience before being considered qualified for the position. Don't enter a Psych degree lightly, it's an extremely long and tiresome road and it is very easy to get bogged down in the length required for work.

It has its' plus sides of course, but if steady and graduate employment is what you're looking for, steer clear

• Registered Users Posts: 19 davidmaguire_

Yeah I do have an interest in Psychology and I can see what you mean that it isn't one to enter lightly, and that you aren't really qualified to do much after the degree and that you have to zone in on a particular section of psychology. The main reason I want to do Psychology through science is that I want to have abit more choice because I'm not sure whether I want to do either Computer Science or Psychology and if I end up not liking Psychology I'm gonna try and transfer to Computer Science and Soft. Engineering at the end of 2nd Year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Yeah I do have an interest in Psychology and I can see what you mean that it isn't one to enter lightly, and that you aren't really qualified to do much after the degree and that you have to zone in on a particular section of psychology. The main reason I want to do Psychology through science is that I want to have abit more choice because I'm not sure whether I want to do either Computer Science or Psychology and if I end up not liking Psychology I'm gonna try and transfer to Computer Science and Soft. Engineering at the end of 2nd Year

Go for the B.Sc Psychology through Science, it's the best of both worlds and it gives you the freedom to experience both and choose what suits you best!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Double check with the department but AFAIK any student in the uni can transfer to second year MH203 if they have done reasonably well in CS and Maths in first year.

Advertisement