Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Apprenticeships

Options
  • 25-06-2014 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

So a few months back I applied for the ESB apprenticeships, and did my online aptitude tests and near forgot about it until I got a call the other morning askign me to come in for an interview!

Anyone else applied for this and heard back? Anybody know what comes after the interviews if I'm REALLY lucky and it goes well?

And lastly, any tips on how to prepare/dress for the interview?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Read up everything you can about the ESB, their apprenticeship system, both old and new forms of electricity generation in Ireland, anything like that you can find on the web / elsewhere. If possible, talk to someone who works in the ESB and went through as an apprentice ... your family may know someone, the neighbours may know someone, all you can do really is ask around.

Dress neatly and fairly formally ... as if you were going for an interview, in fact! :pac:

(If you have the typical Irish mammy, you may find all decisions in this regard taken out of your hands anyway! ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Read up everything you can about the ESB, their apprenticeship system, both old and new forms of electricity generation in Ireland, anything like that you can find on the web / elsewhere. If possible, talk to someone who works in the ESB and went through as an apprentice ... your family may know someone, the neighbours may know someone, all you can do really is ask around.

Dress neatly and fairly formally ... as if you were going for an interview, in fact! :pac:

(If you have the typical Irish mammy, you may find all decisions in this regard taken out of your hands anyway! ;))

Thanks for that :) I think I've read every wiki page about the ESB at this stage, as well as their own website so I suppose now it's time to calm down and see what happens!

And yeah, the mammy has my suit all picked out and hanging up ready to go for it! I had NO SAY in the matter!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

nimrod86 wrote: »
    T
    And yeah, the mammy has my suit all picked out and hanging up ready to go for it! I had NO SAY in the matter!
    That's pretty much what I would have expected tbh! :D

Good luck with it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's possible there may be some manual dexterity test after the interviews. I know for some apprenticeships they have these. Don't worry about them though, they are easy enough if you don't have a disability.
    Some lads I taught had to move washers individually from one pole to another to check fine motor skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Kingup

Hi,
    The brother did his a few weeks ago and has been anxious since then. He says the interview went well, not really sure about the aptitude test though. I was just wondering if anyone has heard back from them? Good or bad? Or is there anyone who knows when they'll be getting back with the results of the interviews?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ChriisM

I'm still waiting on a reply as well, did my interview at the start of July

He got called for a second interview on tues/wed just gone and did it on friday! Seems to be looking well for him anyway, good luck to everyone else.

Kingup wrote: »
    He got called for a second interview on tues/wed just gone and did it on friday! Seems to be looking well for him anyway, good luck to everyone else.

I didn't get called for a second interview? But I did get a call today for a medical examination next week so hopefully things are looking good! Just waiting for an email to confirm the time and place now :)

Best of luck to everyone else applying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bongo81

Fairplay to ye!just wondering where and when you did your interview?

bongo81 wrote: »
    Fairplay to ye!just wondering where and when you did your interview?

I did mine is ESB head office on the 4th of July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 David191

I was just wondering what is involved in the medical that comes after the interview

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bongo81

David191 wrote: »
    I was just wondering what is involved in the medical that comes after the interview

Did you get a called for a medical recently? Not sure whats involved in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

David191 wrote: »

It will just be a standard medical. Check heart, lungs, blood pressure, possibly urine, maybe bloods (though that would be less usual).

Brother did medical this morning, offered the appreticeship immediately, good luck everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 11 perch86

Kingup can you do me a favour please and ask your brother exactly what medical involve as I have mine next week?? Does it have urine and blood tests?? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Paudie93

perch86 wrote: »
    Kingup can you do me a favour please and ask your brother exactly what medical involve as I have mine next week?? Does it have urine and blood tests?? Thanks in advance

Did my medical on Monday... It involves urine test, hearing, vision and blood pressure test... No blood test anyway.. Got offered the job the next day

thanks for info

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bobby8819

Anybody knw if the process is finished and has te places been filled. Or will they let ya knw if your in successful or what? The nerves are f**ked waitin to get word..

Did my medical on Tuesday morning, but the doctor who did it said he had never seen the colour vision form from solas before so he just filled in his usual one, and sent gave me mine back filled in.

Then yesterday I come home to a message on the machine that one of my forms was missing from the medical! I scanned and emailed it in to them today, but I really hope this doesn't affect my application seeing as I asked the Doc should he send it in just in case and he didn't!

getting very nervous now, especially hearing about you guys getting it! Fair play though! :D

do I bring my solas form and get eye test on the day of medical or do I get eye test done before I go for medical and bring my form filled out in all?? can any tell me please. medical Tuesday and just need to know asap.thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mufc1234

done my medical last monday and was told i passed all... i was told before my medical that i was on the reserve list and would receive word either way in a few days... still no word and im supposed to start college next week if i don't get the apprenticeship no fees payed yet and no accommodation sorted :( anyone else in the same boat?? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Liamomeara

mufc1234 wrote: »
    done my medical last monday and was told i passed all... i was told before my medical that i was on the reserve list and would receive word either way in a few days... still no word and im supposed to start college next week if i don't get the apprenticeship no fees payed yet and no accommodation sorted :( anyone else in the same boat?? :/

I did my medical Tuesday last week in Waterford and still haven't heard anything yet. They said nothing to me about a reserve list...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gaz2212

I did my medical on the 25th of August, the woman said everything was fine and I still haven't heard anything back does anyone know if they've filled all the spaces?

I didn't my medical over a week ago too and never heard word. Rang them yesterday and they said there is 3 different starting dates and that they haven't received clearance for all medicals for last two groups starting. Next week you'll hear I'd say but as far as I knew once you go for medical and ya pass you should be in. Never heard anything about reserve or was never told I was reserve so dunno.

I did my medical a few weeks ago, and then heard nothing - so I sent emails and left voicemails and eventually got a call back yesterday.

The first group have started, and the next are starting the end of the month. I've been put on a reserve list myself, so if someone drops out or doesn't take it up I might get a call.

I was a bit annoyed that I they didn't call me to tell me that this was happening though as they must have made the decision a while back, and meanwhile I have decisions to make regarding college, and interviews for other apprenticeships!

At least I know now, and I'd advise anyone else who hasn't heard back to just keep calling and emailing until you find out where you stand - no point sitting around waiting for something that might not happen anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Calling too many times could be interpreted as

Very eager and raring to go

Or

A pain in the ass

I'd call but be very nice about it

Advertisement