Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting agent accessing apt without authorisation!

Options
  • 25-06-2014 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My colleague is renting a a property in Dublin City Center through an agency, the landlord lives abroad.

The agent called yesterday to ask if there were any letters for the Landlord, there were. My colleague said she'd be free any day before 9am or after 6pm to let him in.

He said he had a key and would let himself in if my colleague left the letters for the Landlord in the hall??

Is this bizarre to anyone? I certainly wouldn't like anyone entering my property when I (or my fellow lodgers) weren't there.

Are the letting agency allowed to do this? Is it a case-by-case matter?

Sorry if this has been done a billion times here, if someone can post a link to another similar thread, that's be great.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Did she agree that he could enter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

She didn't reply to his text yesterday as she was looking for a bit of advice today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

So 'No'

If it is not an emergency, the landlord requires your agreement to enter.
    Did he actually collect the letters?
    I would be sending a letter to the landlord, reminding him that he is not authorised to enter the property without permission. If he did manage to collect the letters, I'd change the wording slightly and inform him that any further incidents of unauthorised entry will be reported to the PRTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Personally I'd be marking all the landlord 's post "no longer lives at this address " and popping it in the postbox. If the landlord really wanted it they'd pay a forwarding service

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    Personally I'd be marking all the landlord 's post "no longer lives at this address " and popping it in the postbox. If the landlord really wanted it they'd pay a forwarding service
    That's a good idea. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

athtrasna wrote: »

Just what I was going to suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

No Pants wrote: »
    That's a good idea. Problem solved.

You mentioned that your landlord lives abroad, do you pay your rent directly to the landlord or do you pay to the agent? If you pay the landlord directly you should be withholding 20% for the revenue commissioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭daithi7

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Hi guys,

My colleague is renting a a property in Dublin City Center through an agency, the landlord lives abroad.

The agent called yesterday to ask if there were any letters for the Landlord, there were. My colleague said she'd be free any day before 9am or after 6pm to let him in.

He said he had a key and would let himself in if my colleague left the letters for the Landlord in the hall??

Is this bizarre to anyone? I certainly wouldn't like anyone entering my property when I (or my fellow lodgers) weren't there.

Are the letting agency allowed to do this? Is it a case-by-case matter?

Sorry if this has been done a billion times here, if someone can post a link to another similar thread, that's be great.

Cheers

hmmm, there is normally a clause in the tenancy contract to say that a landlord, or landlord's representative can enter the property if they give due notice. And in this case a tenant cannot unreasonably withhold consent.

The issue here is what is reasonable and what is not. The tenant is going to say they wish to be home and the estate agent is going to say they wish to call in working hours, I'd be inclined to side with the estate agent tbh but that's me.

Of course you could just forward all the post for the landlord c/o the estate agent through the post, and save yourselves a whole load of unnecessary angst. So rather than squabling over what is reasonable, you could just act it & hey presto your problem is solved by itself.... that might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

daithi7 wrote: »
    hmmm, there is normally a clause in the tenancy contract to say that a landlord, or landlord's representative can enter the property if they give due notice. And in this case a tenant cannot unreasonably withhold consent.

The issue here is what is reasonable and what is not. The tenant is going to say they wish to be home and the estate agent is going to say they wish to call in working hours, I'd be inclined to side with the estate agent tbh but that's me.

Of course you could just forward all the post for the landlord c/o the estate agent through the post, and save yourselves a whole load of unnecessary angst. So rather than squabling over what is reasonable, you could just act it & hey presto your problem is solved by itself.... that might be better.

I would sooner drop the mail into an estate agent than have them call when I am not home.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You mentioned that your landlord lives abroad, do you pay your rent directly to the landlord or do you pay to the agent? If you pay the landlord directly you should be withholding 20% for the revenue commissioners.
    More a question for the OP I think.

Advertisement