Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on harvesting broccoli

Options
  • 25-06-2014 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Can anyone out there advise me. Last year I planted broccoli which seemed to go from barely productive to going to seed overnight. This year I've planted some early purple sprouting broccoli (Santee) in my south facing front garden. I now have two magnificent plants, one of which has a (one singular) green egg sized broccoli flower bud. Do I cut this off, and if I don't cut it off do I risk my plant deciding to go to seed? What is the best time to know when to harvest broccoli??? G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Broccoli/calabrese can be temperamental. Too much or too little food, heat, cold, water etc. can knock it back and cause it to run to seed before you have a chance to harvest a nice big tight head. I tried lots of types of seed and mostly failed until I read about Unwin's Green Magic here. I never had problems again. It's great and after you harvest the central head it continues to throw out lots of sideshoots for weeks and weeks. You can start plants from seed now for autumn and winter. Start more in July/August for next spring if you have a greenhouse or tunnel.
    You'll know it's ready when it is a good size but still nice and tight, just like you see in the shops.

Advertisement