Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Almera noises.

Options
  • 25-06-2014 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

A squeaking from the left rear wheel-
    audible only when driving off in 1st. gear-
    also a metallic, grating sound when I move the gear lever. Linkages ? 04 Almera.Opinions welcome,tks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Any recent work on the car? Tbh it could be anything but the squeak is probably the pad.
    Take it to a local garage or two and let them give you an opinion and a quote for fix of each issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Yes,I had the back brakes checked and
    cleaned and the handbrake adjusted recently. It passed it's NCT last month
    with no apparent problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Almera brake calipers like sticking.
    Does the squeak stop if you press the accelarator?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

chicorytip wrote: »
    Yes,I had the back brakes checked and
    cleaned and the handbrake adjusted recently. It passed it's NCT last month
    with no apparent problems.
    Go back to your man and say you need more grease on the caliper pins*

*it could be something else but squeak right after pad work, I'd say the fitting needs to be checked.

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

if it stops when you press it then it is most likely a sticky calliper. Not a big deal.

edit not a big deal in terms of fixing - worth doing sooner rather than later or you could have no brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭MAYOMICK

chicorytip wrote: »

also a metallic, grating sound when I move the gear lever. Linkages ? 04 Almera.Opinions welcome,tks.

A friend of mine purchased a 02 Almera last year and was complaining of a metalic sound when he moved gear lever.One end of a small spring had broke and come loose under the gear lever and was rubbing against the heat shield.I rebent that end and put it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

MAYOMICK wrote: »
    A friend of mine purchased a 02 Almera last year and was complaining of a metalic sound when he moved gear lever.One end of a small spring had broke and come loose under the gear lever and was rubbing against the heat shield.I rebent that end and put it back.

LOL, I just posted something similar not more than 5 mins ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057239198

The diagnoses:
    a) handbrake cable too tight.
    b) broken linkage spring rubbing against
    the exhaust heatshield.
    Easy fixes- 70 euro.

Advertisement