Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chrome or Firefox

Options
  • 25-06-2014 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Morning folks,

I am still no a Galaxy S2, yeah I know a little behind the times, and I am trying to decide between Chrome and Firefox as an internet browser.

I mean Chrome is so much quicker but I like that you can use add ons in Firefox, such as my faveourite which is a Quit button.

Any thoughts?

Which is the better browser? 28 votes

Chrome
    0% 0 votes
    Firefox
    100% 28 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Using Firefox myself with no issues.

Can I ask why you need a quit button?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Newhand

Because otherwise the program would stay on the in the background for no real reason, which to my knowledge is just using up system resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

Never liked either on the S2, always preferred the inbuilt Browser.

Same on my S4, stuck to the default browser.

(yaay 300th post)

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Newhand wrote: »
    Because otherwise the program would stay on the in the background for no real reason, which to my knowledge is just using up system resources.

Not since Gingerbread. On Android 4.0+ memory is handled very efficiently by the OS (that's actually why they removed the quit button from Firefox). There's no need to close apps. Android will do it for you if it needs RAM for something else.
    On the contrary, closing apps manually will slow you down because they need to be paged into memory all over again, which takes time and extra CPU cycles.

Good article on it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Newhand

Thanks for the Maki, I will look into it ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Chrome in every way. whether it be phone or desktop. suppose a lot of it comes down to what suits you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Firefox because it allows you watch flash content which I've found very handy on many occasions. It gives access to a bit more flash stuff than dolphin browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

I only use Dolphin if I want to access the full version of the website. it's not too often this happens, still seem a decent browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Chrome was ruined for me after the recent update that puts the bookmarks in a list instead of in a grid of icons. Much preferred the grid. Had a look at most other browsers on the market as a replacement, including Firefox, and settled on Opera. Good mix of aesthetics and function, without being overwhelming with add on extras. And it has the grid of icons for speed dial. It doesn't do flash, though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I use Chrome, always have, since one of the first betas were released 2 or so years ago.

I love the way it syncs up with all my devices.

Never used FireFox so I can't comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Chrome was fine til the last update, seems slow and laggy since, I'm sure it will be sorted in the next update but I reverted back to factory chrome - N5 stock 4.4.4

Advertisement