Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberbullied teachers

Options
  • 24-06-2014 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,
    I have just finished my BSc in Education and Training and plan to do a Research Masters. I was thinking of investigating if teachers are being cyberbullied by their students and to what extent. I would appreciate any thoughts or insights from teachers as well as students. Thank you for your time
    Allan

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's not a question of 'if'.

Have a look at some schools codes of behaviour/Internet use policy and you can see they considered it enough of a problem to mention it.

The unions are unlikely to give you specifics, but I know for a fact there have been teachers who had to approach the unions to get incidents dealt with by management.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭MollFlanders

There have been a number of issues with Snapchat pictures, sending them to another party and then that party saves the picture for further use. Videos are taken in class and uploaded to YouTube and pictures are uploaded to Facebook. I have also heard of fake Facebook sites set up in a teacher's name. You could look at the role that technology plays in our schools today, good luck!
    (You could start with a survey on Surveymonkey and teachers will give you some insight on areas to research.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭doc_17

As someone said it's not a question of if but the extent of it. It seems acceptable that people in the public sector are subjected to this. Why that is the case would also be an interesting study for someone's Masters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

There's an infamous video of a teacher in England being humiliated here <mod snip>. It's disturbing that, over a million views later, it's still on YouTube. I would have assumed it would have been removed immediately mod: just like that you mean :).

It's so easy for any of us to be similarly recorded - particularly if one is in a school where the management does not appreciate the magnitude of how technology can be used to not only breach a teacher's right to privacy but to humiliate her/him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sharkyaj

Thank you to those that have given me some ideas for my Research. There are so many angles that I can investigate that never occured to me, so thank you for your assistance. I don't have to decide on my research question just yet but can now do some preliminary research. Thanks again and if anyone else would like to add something please feel free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭J.R.

sharkyaj wrote: »
    I was thinking of investigating if teachers are being cyberbullied by their students and their parents and to what extent.

maybe consider including parents - many parents have posted rude, threatening comments about teachers on Facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

If you accept part of the definition of bullying as a ' repeated action' then have a look at comments on ratemyteacher.com
    Some of the teachers ive seen on their have died or retired yet comments are still there every day, parents just googling the school name could be brought to that site and make a judgement based on an idiots comments 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Teacher Snapchat is rife in my school. We have a very lax phone policy, so students regularly have phone out on class.
    I've seen Snapchats of myself teaching; nothing bad but I'm generally liked by the students. Would hate to see what they have on teachers they don't like....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Teacher Snapchat is rife in my school. We have a very lax phone policy, so students regularly have phone out on class.
    I've seen Snapchats of myself teaching; nothing bad but I'm generally liked by the students. Would hate to see what they have on teachers they don't like....

They have no business taking photos of anyone.
    Phone/iPad, meet hammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

thesyl wrote: »
    Its really interesting to hear about students cyber bullying teachers. Its something that's really underreported in the media, where there's much more coverage about students bullying other students.

Have you ever heard of it before theysl?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭doc_17

If a student took a picture of me without my permission I would be straight on to their parents.

On a related note about abuse of phones I'd say the level of cheating that goes on in state exams due to phones would be an interesting stat go find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

A student in my school took a photo of a teacher in class and posted it on Facebook.
    It was a harmless enough photo but the student who took the photo was suspended for a week and brought before the board of management.
    All students who liked/commented on the photo were heavily sanctioned.
    A zero-tolerance approach is the only way to go when it comes to mobile phones/social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

That is a complete invasion of your privacy and isn't appropriate in your role as a teacher, I would be furious and insist the images are removed.

Advertisement