Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plant suggestions please

Options
  • 24-06-2014 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

I am posting a picture in the hope that some of you might offer ideas about what I could plant in the area.
    Soil is quite stoney and alkaline and I've to add topsoil to the area yet. Its facing south east..
    I need to get this area planted as cheaply as possible!

I tend to plant things in 3's for impact. I need to shape the bed a little better toi

Am open to ideas!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mrsvan

What about carpet roses?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

Thanks mrsvan. I could put one or two in along with other plants... Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

I am posting a picture in the hope that some of you might offer ideas about what I could plant in the area.
    Soil is quite stoney and alkaline and I've to add topsoil to the area yet. Its facing south east..
    I need to get this area planted as cheaply as possible!

I tend to plant things in 3's for impact. I need to shape the bed a little better toi

Am open to ideas!
    Thanks
    The soil level looks grand, unless you plan on having a raised bed, I wouldn't be adding any topsoil, also planting in groups of 3's isn't a good idea in such a small area, unless you're planting small plants like heathers, perennials etc.
    Planting in groups is for impact but works well only in large areas IMO.
    As for the plant selection, I would suggest planting a tree in the middle as a focal point, perhaps something like crataegus laevigata "paul's scarlet", and then add a selction of 7/9 shrubs, I'd also suggest making a visit to a garden centre and see what takes you fancy, another good idea is to pay attention to other peoples gardens and see what appeals to you and don't be afraid to ask them what it is.
    In no time you'll have a fine selection of plants that you actually like and have fun learning at the same time, hope that helps, enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

My first job would be to cover/bury the electrical wire. Cover it with drain pipe or bury it beyond spade-depth.

Another idea would be to hold off a while and plant loads of different daffs before you cover it - if you intend to.

Would you be looking for half evergreen and half deciduous/herbaceous? Hebe's spread nicely and some have very nice colour. A few more dwarf conifers could fit nicely with some Jap. Maples to give you a nice bed.
    Then again, some grasses could fit very nice too and they aren't expensive and can be evergreen or perennial.
    Euonymous fortuneii 'emerald gaeity' comes to mind too....I was looking at it today.
    Do you have tea-roses in the garden already? They could really brighten it up.

Advertisement