Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cherry Blossom Tree Dying?

Options
  • 24-06-2014 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭

Hi,I hope someone can advise me re this.
    We planted a small weeping cherry blossom tree in our front garden about a month ago. It's only a small patch of lawn in an open cul-de-sac so there were quite a lot of rocks underneath the surface but after some serious slog my oh managed to dig down through to plant it deep enough.
    Thing is,it's starting to look a bit pitiful now. Loads of the leaves have fallen off,leaving the branches looking really limp and the leaves that are still on it are all turning brown and shrivelly. I'm sure the lady in the garden centre said it would stay green all year,that's why we bought it.

So,is my tree dying? :'( Haven't even got to see it flower yet! We're doing everything right as far as I know although I have to say we're both pretty clueless about gardening,but we have been watering it every day and everything.
    Anyone know what's happened and what,it anything,we can do to save it?
    Thanks for any advice anyone has......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

MelanieC wrote: »
    there were quite a lot of rocks underneath the surface but after some serious slog my oh managed to dig down through to plant it deep enough

If there is a lot of rocks this could be the cause of the problem. The Tree needs soil not rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭rje66

Red Hare wrote: »
    If there is a lot of rocks this could be the cause of the problem. The Tree needs soil not rocks.

And water...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭rje66

Red Hare wrote: »

And water...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Anyone know what's happened and what,it anything,we can do to save it?
    Thanks for any advice anyone has......[/QUOTE]

If it is the case that the ground around it is of full of rocks you could try to lift the tree ( soak the roots in water while its lifted), dig a hole much larger than the trees roots - fill this with good topsoil or John Innes - available from a garden centre and return your tree to the hole.

Advertisement