Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with pets, in Dublin

Options
  • 24-06-2014 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

What are peoples experiences of renting in Dublin with pets? Is it best to stick to the Pets Allowed results from daft? (other websites don't seem to have this option?) Or are landlords/agents open to discussing it in person? Would a previous landlords reference specifically mentioning pets help?

From previous experience I've seen lease contracts that not only stipulate no pets but also list every creature that is considered a pet! I've also rented places that were advertised as Pets Allowed but the standard lease contract had the "no pets" clause. Some people say not to bother with the Pets Allowed search on daft, to ask the landlord directly...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's always worth asking with houses but avoid apartments and high density developments, these are likely to have no pet clauses in the ownership contract so that even if a landlord was amenable to you having a pet, the management company is likely to cause trouble meaning either you or the pet have to go, potentially breaking your lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

The no pet clauses in apartment blocks - how binding are they? What are the repercussions for the homeowner if they break it?

They are binding, repercussions vary from development to development but please don't even consider going down that route, it's a nightmare for everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

athtrasna wrote: »
    They are binding, repercussions vary from development to development but please don't even consider going down that route, it's a nightmare for everyone involved.

Don't worry I'm not in a position to even consider it.
    Looked at a flat once that had all the usual stipulations plus "no talking after 22:00" - is there anything that can't be stipulated in these?

Don't worry I'm not in a position to even consider it.
    Looked at a flat once that had all the usual stipulations plus "no talking after 22:00" - is there anything that can't be stipulated in these?

Can't imagine that would be legal, however something like "no noise audible from outside the unit after..." would be standard enough. As with the no pets thing it's the high density nature of apartments that require such clauses to be included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I was renting a house in Dublin that had a 'no pets' clause. I somehow acquired a puppy, and just kept him a secret. Seriously, we were like an eighties Disney film. The landlords were real dog lovers, but the agent (a crazy lady in an acid yellow VW Beetle) must have had a suspicion that we were harbouring fur of some description because she pestered us with 'property inspections.' I had to pull a sickie and mooch around town with the dog whenever this happened.
    The lease expired and when it was time to move out I had a terrible time finding new accommodation. After a very depressing series of viewings and refusals I got lucky and was asked to essentially house-sit, dog and all, for six months. When that was over I packed in my job and left the city. My logic was that it must be easier to find a job outside Dublin than accommodation inside Dublin. I was right! I now share a lovely rented cottage in the wilderness with two dogs and two cats, so take that crazy VW Beetle lady!
    I don't know what the moral of my story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

I was renting a house in Dublin that had a 'no pets' clause. I somehow acquired a puppy, and just kept him a secret. Seriously, we were like an eighties Disney film. The landlords were real dog lovers, but the agent (a crazy lady in an acid yellow VW Beetle) must have had a suspicion that we were harbouring fur of some description because she pestered us with 'property inspections.' I had to pull a sickie and mooch around town with the dog whenever this happened.
    The lease expired and when it was time to move out I had a terrible time finding new accommodation. After a very depressing series of viewings and refusals I got lucky and was asked to essentially house-sit, dog and all, for six months. When that was over I packed in my job and left the city. My logic was that it must be easier to find a job outside Dublin than accommodation inside Dublin. I was right! I now share a lovely rented cottage in the wilderness with two dogs and two cats, so take that crazy VW Beetle lady!
    I don't know what the moral of my story is.

Are you working now or drawing the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

userod wrote: »
    Are you working now or drawing the dole?

Way off topic, but to answer your impertinent question; I'm a teacher. I finished out the school year to the first of June in Dublin, and started in a new school in the second week of October, with a loss of only six weeks' earnings. I had savings, didn't bother with the dole. That was seven years ago, and I've been there ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I wouldn't limit yourself to pets allowed.

I turn up, view the house, talk to the agent/landlord, go through the particulars, then mention the small dog. You'll either get a straight no or a yes. I've done this twice successfully.

You have to be prepared to waste time on viewings, but you'll have much more choice and you'll eventually meet a landlord or agent who'll accept the pet(it took 3 attempts in Cork recently, 2 on my last rental in Dublin). Dogs are easier to get away with than cats.

I don't get it though, kids would do far more damage than pets. Some landlords mumble something about the smell for the next tenant, and allergies and stuff, and I'm like "You just told me the place has been deep cleaned"?

Advertisement