Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW2 Trips

Options
  • 24-06-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering does anyone have advice regarding these. I am lucking to bring my Dad on one but I don't know really where to start.

Thanks for any information in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭lurker2000

Hi, I went on one last year to Normandy. You can get around quite easily yourself or you can hire a guide for a day. But to be honest, if you research properly, there is no reason why you can't do it yourself. Bring your car (if you drive) on the ferry and go to Cherbourg. Go after the kids are back in school as its much less expensive. My family went and stayed in campsites, in the general area of Normandy, these are also cheaper in Sept or May/June.

Base yourself in Normandy/East Brittany and there are terrific museums and exhibits. This year of course if the 70th anniversary, so its the year to go. A lot of points of interest are free, the beaches and grave yards etc. There is a card you can get that gives you a discount if you are visiting a lot of the museums. Trip advisor will tell you the top attractions there. You don't say if its Normandy you are thinking about, obviously this area has the 'mother load' of attractions and interests, but there are other areas in Europe that may be of interest too.

I did an itinerary for our family last year and we got to see everything in 4 days - top places of interest were - the beaches, St Mere Eglaise (American airborne landed in the town square and were shot at as they got snagged in the trees). The grave yards (all countries) The German one (La Cambe) is of special interest to people who want to see Panzer ace's Michael Wittman's grave. Mt Ormel (where the Germans were finally routed from France, there is a very moving exhibition there, over 10,000 Germans lost their lives there when the Falaise gap was closed. There is also a monument to the Polish forces who helped close the pocket there. The Atlantic bunker (left with all the artefacts from the time). Pegasus bridge. and much, much more - you can also go to Caen which was totally destroyed by the Allies as the Germans held out there. We also went to a little known hill where there was a major tank engagement, there are still small artefacts to be found lying around to this day.

Throw in Mt St Michael (a must see) and the Bayeux Tapestry and you get an all round experience. PM me if you want specific details of places of interest that your dad might like, did he serve there ? If he did, you might want to research the movement of his regiment and bring him to those places.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement