Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workout questions.

Options
  • 24-06-2014 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

I'm going to start a bit of lifting and I'm trying to find a few basic but essential things to start off with. I've seen it written that things like Deadlift, Squat and Bench Press would fit that bill.

Would starting off with those three be a good start ? If so would it be recommended to do one each day ? Or all three the same day if possible ? Or what would you recommend as a schedule ?

If just those three on their own wouldn't be a good start what others would you recommend to add in there ?

Goals btw are just building some strength and getting a bit fitter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

Have a look around for the Starting Strength or StrongLifts programs. They are based on the major compound lifts and have recommended schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Have someone show you how to squat and deadlift at the start. Worthwhile investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Have someone show you how to squat and deadlift at the start. Worthwhile investment.

I wont be going to a gym, I'll be doing it at home so I'll just get some tips online about form and stuff. I've got a little bit of a dodgy back so I'll be pretty careful to start off with and I wont be lifting very heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Pugsly wrote: »
    I wont be going to a gym, I'll be doing it at home so I'll just get some tips online about form and stuff. I've got a little bit of a dodgy back so I'll be pretty careful to start off with and I wont be lifting very heavy.

Well make sure to try and nail down technique before you start going heavier
    Slow and steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭binncheol

As someone who messed up their back deadlifting - seriously worth getting someone to watch your technique.

At the very least, if you're not going to get a trainer - take videos and have people here/ on reddit's r/fitness critique your form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 SLDeviant

binncheol wrote: »
    As someone who messed up their back deadlifting - seriously worth getting someone to watch your technique.

At the very least, if you're not going to get a trainer - take videos and have people here/ on reddit's r/fitness critique your form.

Sprained my back last week deadlifting. It was my dumbass fault for going over weight on a PR. Form and not letting your ego get the run of you are key. I second the r/fitness recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

So the program I found/went with was a simple enough one.

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power cleans

Workouts A and B alternate on 3 non-consecutive days per week.

I did day 1 today with a 20kg barbell as I'm not in very good shape and it'll take me a while to get the technique right.

Warmup: I just did a 10 minute walk and 5 minute run to loosen up. But didn't do any stretches which I probably should be doing particularly for the back as it was a little tight after the workout. But then again I don't have very good posture and keeping my back straight when working out isn't my natural stance which probably also adds to the tightness.

Squat: I don't have a rack or the Olympic bar, just a cheap Argos weight bench with barbells/dumbbells. So I did the front squat instead of having it across my shoulders. Couldn't get my elbows up as straight as the guys had them in the instruction videos and it hurt like hell on the front of my shoulders but I got through it. Legs were like jelly after it.

Bench: Was fine, felt like I could start upping the weight next time but maybe it might be better to stick to low weight for another while to let things build up a little bit.

Deadlift: Legs were pretty shaky from doing the squats. I tried to do as I seen in the videos, toes just under the bar, squat down, back straight, face forward etc. Then stand up lifting with the legs and backside. All seemed ok but back was a little tight afterwards.

Advertisement