Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waders

Options
  • 24-06-2014 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

Can someone please tell me where I can get a pair of thigh waders that will last longer than 2 seasons.I am sick and tired of buying waders that do not last.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Hijack alert!

And if anyone knows where you can get or the manufacturer of waders with steel toe caps I'd be interested.

I've had the same pair for 20 years and will cry if they ever spring a leak and need replacing. Bought originally second hand at a car boot sale in the UK for £4.

I mostly use them when I'm moving boulders around in our adjoining river so at least I can confirm for the OP that waders were at least once available that lasted more than 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have Vass thigh waders for 7 years now. I use then at least twice a week all year round, in freshwater and sea. They take abuse from briers and climbing through ditches etc no problem. Good old fashioned rubber thigh boots!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Where can I gain possession of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭whelzer

I've had a pair of Baleno thigh waders for the last 13 years - they have been through hell and highwater... Would only use them the odd time for serious trout fishing (eg an all day trip would use stocking foot chesties) but use them a lot when sea fishing, digging bait, picking cockles, winter wildfowling, etc.

Got them in Countryman Angling in Naas if memory serves...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

my3cents wrote: »
    Hijack alert!

And if anyone knows where you can get or the manufacturer of waders with steel toe caps I'd be interested.

I've had the same pair for 20 years and will cry if they ever spring a leak and need replacing. Bought originally second hand at a car boot sale in the UK for £4.

I mostly use them when I'm moving boulders around in our adjoining river so at least I can confirm for the OP that waders were at least once available that lasted more than 2 years.

Steel cap ones are generally work wear rather than for fishing. Try somewhere like here

http://www.totalworkwear.co.uk/safety-wellingtons/FW74.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Thanks for the link I'll keep those in mind.

The one thing I've found with decent steel toe cap wellies of every kind (including waders) is that they tend to way outlast soft toed versions. The reason I believe is that the steel toe cap wellies don't flex in the same way so take longer to fail.

Its also worth mentioning that storage will have some bearing on how long waders last and I'm strongly in favour of hanging waders up when not in use so there are no folds in the waterproof areas. Traditionally I've seen waders hung upside down but I find just hanging them so the tops are supported with the soles on the floor is handy enough.

whelzer wrote: »
    I've had a pair of Baleno thigh waders for the last 13 years - they have been through hell and highwater... Would only use them the odd time for serious trout fishing (eg an all day trip would use stocking foot chesties) but use them a lot when sea fishing, digging bait, picking cockles, winter wildfowling, etc.

Got them in Countryman Angling in Naas if memory serves...

Thanks for reply Whelzer.What are they made from.

Thanks for reply Whelzer.What are they made from.

Oh. rubber/Pvc ie oldschool. I cycled around 2 miles in them Wed night...legs/feet were a bit sweaty it has to be said but needed to walk through brambles and general prickly undergrowth - this is were rubber/pvc comes into its own.

Contacted Countryman Angling and they did not have any in stock but will try to source a pair for me.Waders and cycling :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.The aliens have landed.

The Baleno waders I see in the pictures have a different material above the boot section as in the thigh part of the wader.Are theses the same waders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

I honestly have no faith in waders anymore, I have surrendered to the fact that getting soaked is just part of the game!

The Baleno waders I see in the pictures have a different material above the boot section as in the thigh part of the wader.Are theses the same waders.

Yes the boot is rubber and the next bit is PVC, for what its worth the boot has "ITALBOOT" "Made In Italy" on the sole.

Good man .Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Met a lad last week wading with shorts and sandals

Advertisement