Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

refill pipe in toilet cistern

Options
  • 24-06-2014 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a Close Coupled toilet on Sunday from Woodies and fitted it yesterday. In the instructions in the box it said fit the refill pipe from the water inlet float to the overflow pipe on the syphon, but in with the parts there was no refill pipe included and when the cistern fills up no water comes out of the spout where the refill pipe pushes onto - is it needed? will the toilet still flush as efficiently /work properly without the refill pipe fitted? Thanks.

DSC_0168.jpg

70ae51f9-2d0f-475c-9c17-ddcbeb71fc66.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I bought a Close Coupled toilet on Sunday from Woodies and fitted it yesterday. In the instructions in the box it said fit the refill pipe from the water inlet float to the overflow pipe on the syphon, but in with the parts there was no refill pipe included and when the cistern fills up no water comes out of the spout where the refill pipe pushes onto - is it needed? will the toilet still flush as efficiently /work properly without the refill pipe fitted? Thanks.

DSC_0168.jpg

70ae51f9-2d0f-475c-9c17-ddcbeb71fc66.jpg

This has an internal overflow. It's all set up & ready to go from what I can see in the photo.
    HHappy flushing! ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This has an internal overflow. It's all set up & ready to go from what I can see in the photo.
    HHappy flushing! ☺

thanks, but i dont think the refill tube has anything to do with overflow, i think it has something to do with filling up the pan or helping it to flush better if i understand it correctly

thanks, but i dont think the refill tube has anything to do with overflow, i think it has something to do with filling up the pan or helping it to flush better if i understand it correctly

I can't say 100% without seeing it but I think you have everything right. I always buy my materials from a trade counter and have never bought anything like this from Woodies. All the modern toilets I've fitted have come from trade counter and I've never seen anything fit between the 2 fittings. I can't imagine what it would do. Your internal overflow is there & should be working fine the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

There should be a plastic tube like a long straw with a steel clip. This is clipped onto the overflow from the inlet. It's not ever been a problem in my experience not fitting it. However I've always fitted it.

A bigger problem is usually the fact the fittings are made for high pressure so the adapter needs to be taken off to adjust it to low pressure

This assumes you live in a standard unpumped house

There should be a plastic tube like a long straw with a steel clip. This is clipped onto the overflow from the inlet. It's not ever been a problem in my experience not fitting it. However I've always fitted it.

A bigger problem is usually the fact the fittings are made for high pressure so the adapter needs to be taken off to adjust it to low pressure

This assumes you live in a standard unpumped house

thanks for that, to pick you up on what you said there you mentioned about water pressure. Well this new toilet appears to take longer to fill than our old standard cistern and im thinking it could indeed be adapted for high pressure or mains and we are tank fed from the loft in a bungalow. So I reckon I would need to find this adaptor... but where to find it? and change it? and where to get low pressure adaptor from? - the float is bottom entry new type floats as in pic. I have had the blue cap off on top the other day, turned valve anti-clockwise and see the rubber washer. The water also exits at the bottom of the float / water inlet - under water, for silent filling i suppose but which i thought was illegal due to water/ plumbing regulations because of tank water going into mains and polluting that, unless it works on a non-return valve kind of principle. I personally myself like to hear the system filling up with water personally and would rather it have a spout at the top of the water inlet valve where it fills up the cistern above the water line in the cistern. - I suppose if I want that I would have to go and buy a whole new water inlet valve/float assembly. But if you could tell me where to change the water pressure adaptor in these new fangled floats i would be much grateful.

• Advertisement

thanks for that, to pick you up on what you said there you mentioned about water pressure. Well this new toilet appears to take longer to fill than our old standard cistern and im thinking it could indeed be adapted for high pressure or mains and we are tank fed from the loft in a bungalow. So I reckon I would need to find this adaptor... but where to find it? and change it? and where to get low pressure adaptor from? - the float is bottom entry new type floats as in pic. I have had the blue cap off on top the other day, turned valve anti-clockwise and see the rubber washer. The water also exits at the bottom of the float / water inlet - under water, for silent filling i suppose but which i thought was illegal due to water/ plumbing regulations because of tank water going into mains and polluting that, unless it works on a non-return valve kind of principle. I personally myself like to hear the system filling up with water personally and would rather it have a spout at the top of the water inlet valve where it fills up the cistern above the water line in the cistern. - I suppose if I want that I would have to go and buy a whole new water inlet valve/float assembly. But if you could tell me where to change the water pressure adaptor in these new fangled floats i would be much grateful.

There is a restrictor inside the filler valve. It should be in the instructions. Usually for a toilet in a non pressurised house I pull this out & bin it. Toilet should fill in 30 to 60 seconds

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There is a restrictor inside the filler valve. It should be in the instructions. Usually for a toilet in a non pressurised house I pull this out & bin it. Toilet should fill in 30 to 60 seconds

just had it apart now and removed this which im presuming is the restrictor, it didnt have anything in the instructions about it. But it has made the cistern more noisier now when filling and does indeed to appear to be filling faster so thanks for that advice :
    DSC_0005.jpg

just had it apart now and removed this which im presuming is the restrictor, it didnt have anything in the instructions about it. But it has made the cistern more noisier now when filling and does indeed to appear to be filling faster so thanks for that advice :
    DSC_0005.jpg

I'm not familiar with Woodies toilets so I can't confirm that, that is the restrictor. It doesn't look anything like I have seen before but I tend to stick with the same brands

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

It does not look like a restrict or I seen. The one I seen is usually in the inlet with sticks out the bottom of the cistern

It does not look like a restrict or I seen. The one I seen is usually in the inlet with sticks out the bottom of the cistern

ive taken that out and removed it, looks like all that is , is a plastic filter, maybe to filter out debris coming from the header tank in the loft so it dont foul up the water inlet valve washer in the inlet pipe inside the toilet cistern ....

• Advertisement

ive taken that out and removed it, looks like all that is , is a plastic filter, maybe to filter out debris coming from the header tank in the loft so it dont foul up the water inlet valve washer in the inlet pipe inside the toilet cistern ....

Andy I'd be inclined to take out the filter & put back in the part you took out.

As I say I'm not familiar with that set up.

Advertisement