Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

something different for wedding in galway

Options
  • 24-06-2014 3:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5

Hi everyone, we are planning to get married in summer of 2016, i really want something different for our day, the idea of traditional beef and salmon wedding does not appeal to us, it will be a civil ceremony with approx 100 people, something kind of casual. I love the idea of a bbq, weather permitting or a buffet, has anybody any ideas or done this or been to anything like this, any ideas greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Most of the hotels in galway city offer bbqs during the summer and buffets all year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 annc

Addle wrote: »
    Most of the hotels in galway city offer bbqs during the summer and buffets all year.

Im thinking of something different from the usual hotel scene, i cant pin down what i want, just looking for ideas, perhaps a hall dressed up, rent out a pub for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hopefully well be going bbq style but served with Pig Spit..Loverly chaps to talk to and great prices.. Another one was the Wild Side Catering, they do oysters weak

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

I think BBQ or Buffet sounds like a great idea, or pig on a spit. Never been to one of those informal weddings, but I bet they'd be great craic.
    What time of year are you getting married? Summer can be great for a BBQ, even if you don't quite get the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

My friend is getting married in the Mill House in Slane where they do civil ceremonies and they do a BBQ....you should check it out. Absolutely gorgeous place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

have you thought of an outdoor ceremony perhaps a place like woodville walled gardens and then three towers eco house at slieve aughty. i recently photographed a wedding there it has a gorgeous outdoor area and i'm sure they can add extra quirkiness for you. pm me if you want to see some of the pics to give you an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

I heard that Dunraven Arms in Adare does pig on a spit. Adare is no distance from Galway with motorway from Gort.

I'm also from Galway and looking for something other than the usual hotel wedding for 2016.

I think that Anna Carriga in Clare is supposed to be very different. Brilliant view.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

Hey

Check out Lough Inagh Lodge in Connemara, you might be able to organise a marquee at the house.

Check out this wedding....http://www.claremoyna.com/Wedding-Photography

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭berrecka

Bridets Garden is a beautiful outdoor ceremony venue.

We are getting married in the Rowing Club this year. Its a lot of work, as expensive as a hotel wedding (actually quite a bit more for us in the end, but it depends what you are putting into it. Venue rental is really cheap - its doing your own decor and getting caterers in thats the costly part, but that depends on the couple and what they deem necessary to invest on these things), but its a place you can make your own, stunning views of the river, and is great for an old knees up!
    PM me if you want more info x

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

What about Cloonacauneen Castle? I was at a wedding there last year, and it was a bit different to the "norm". They had long tables outdoors, under a type canopy. The food was a pig on a spit, burgers, chicken, sausages, and lots of salads, potatoes etc. For the after party we moved inside to a reception room.
    http://www.clooncastle.com/bbqs/bbq-area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭popepaisley1

we had access to a bar that we could use. stocked it ourselves. got staff. got our friends to do food (buffet). didnt bother inviting any aunties or uncles. just ended up having a big knees up. another mate has a big sound system so we set that up in the bar and go some mates to dj all night at it. it went down a storm!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ruasligo12

I am trying to organise the same, proving quite difficult! Would love to have venue for 120/150 pple pig on spit party. Does anyone know of these types of places in the west?! Think they are now calling this freestyle weddings yet venues do not seem to want to move away from sit down dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

ruasligo12 wrote: »
    I am trying to organise the same, proving quite difficult! Would love to have venue for 120/150 pple pig on spit party. Does anyone know of these types of places in the west?! Think they are now calling this freestyle weddings yet venues do not seem to want to move away from sit down dinner.

How about the three towers in kylebrack?
    http://thethreetowers.com/wedding-info/

Advertisement