Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner party menu idea - good?

Options
  • 24-06-2014 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi everyone!

I'm doing a sort of Come Dine With Me with four other friends, on a budget of €25 for food only (!). Here is my idea, and I'd love to hear opinions! I'll work out the budget closer to the date and when I'm sure on my menu. I can always tweak it if it's too expensive.

Starter: Rocket salad with balsamic red onions, pine nuts, parmesan and bacon/prosciutto.

Main: Stuffed chicken breasts (feta, basil and sun-dried tomatoes) with new roast potatoes and pan-fried greens.

Dessert: Panna cotta with berries and raspberry coulis, served with cat tongue biscuits.

Whatcha think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Sounds lovely! The only thing I'd change if I was having it myself would be balsamic vinagerette instead of the balsamic onions, just because I sometimes find rocket salad a little dry if it isn't dressed.

You might find that menu pushes your budget a little, if you don't already have some of the more expensive ingredients in your cupboard, (pine nuts, parmesan & enough cream to make panna cotta for 5 would cost around a tenner by themselves, I think. It's always the little 'add on' ingredients that end up pushing me over the edge of my budget when I plan a menu for something)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

If the cream does push you over budget, I find these bad boys great for a cheapo that doesn't taste like it dessert. Everyone loves them and though they look like standard chocolate muffins, the texture is gorgeous and completely different.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/02/chocolate-souffle-cupcakes-with-mint-cream/

I never put the mint in the white chocolate topping, mind you. You could skip that altogether and just go with your raspberry coulis poured over them.

Failing all that, the world champion of budget desserts is bread and butter pudding and it's delicious :D A few chocolate chips and a caramel sauce and you have a winner right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭annainez

Thank you both! Emaleth those muffins look tasty :) I'm really not a fan of bread and butter pudding but I'll consider it ;)

Yeah it's the pine nuts that get me... might try it with a different nut before deciding.

Thanks for the tips!

Advertisement