Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy Yoga & Pilates

Options
  • 24-06-2014 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hey everyone. My midwife recommended to go to these but can you just do them at home yourself, I know a good few people who never went to the classes and were fine. Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I've been to pregnancy yoga and pregnancy pilates and while I only did a smattering of both before pregnancy, I definitely think the classes are worth it. There are a lot of exercises and moves that are modified extensively for pregnancy and - particularly as you get bigger - it's great to have an experienced eye to watch you and make sure you're doing it right. It's also a lovely way to connect with other pregnant ladies, I've found that to be the most positive aspect of it all, at the start of each class we briefly describe how far we are and how we feel, and it's been a great learning curve for understanding what to expect (and to share the moans!)

If you're experienced in yoga & pilates I'm sure you could follow the modified pregnancy tutorials on youtube with no bother, but personally I feel the community aspect of classes to be hugely beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

What other exercise are you doing?

If you are in anyway a beginner, then I'd highly recommend the classes. If you don't modify some of the moves appropriately, you can actually do more damage than good later into your pregnancy.

Both yoga and pilates are very different in their benefits so don't tar them with the one brush :) Pilates for stability and core & back strengthening, and yoga for breathing, stretching and can help with your mind too :)

As Jerrica said, I also loved meeting other expectant mums and picked up some good tips along the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Great thanks for the advice. Any ideas roughly how much the classes are and how often do you need to do them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I do pregnancy classes in Dublin city centre, once a week in six week terms at a cost of €90 per term. If you do more than one class a week there's a reduction in prices and once you hit 40 weeks you get unlimited free classes :D

The pregnancy yoga classes I did through the hospital with a midwife/ yoga instructor were €60 for a class of six. Prices seem to vary quite a lot.

Advertisement