Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move from HTPC to NAT

Options
  • 24-06-2014 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

I built an HTPC many moons ago, & by todays standards, it's a dinosaur. It's in a big full sized HTPC case, that houses six 3.5" hdds, & a full sized ATX setup. It's big, noisy, & I'd like to do something different with it.

I use it as my main web browsing pc too, as it's connected up to the tv via HDMI. So what I'd like to do, is migrate to maybe a laptop connected to the tv for every day web use etc, so it would have a much smaller footprint, lower power consumption, & be a lot quiter too. I'd like then to be able to access the content of my hdd's from the laptop at will.

What I'm thinking is to buy a few new hdd's, so I'd be able to reduce the hdd count down from six to three, or maybe even two...& then use a NAS server/bay connected to the router, which a laptop would be able to access.

I suppose another way would be to turn the HTPC into a server, with WOL capabilities etc...but I've nowhere else to really put it (it's a big Silverstone case). Are there any other options I might explore? What are these things like - http://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-4TB-Cloud-Personal-Storage/dp/B00FOKN7D8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1403604567&sr=8-3&keywords=nas+drive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Have you looked into buying a HP ProLiant ? they offer them every now and again with 120 back rebates. So when i bought mine for 250 I got the 120 back. I have 3 x 2tb and using between 30-50 watts. Probably could lower that again as mine is 2yr old tech. I built a mini HTPC for 400 to replace the Pi. Could probably knock 100 off the HTPC and still have a pretty decent rig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

stylie wrote: »
    Have you looked into buying a HP ProLiant ? they offer them every now and again with 120 back rebates. So when i bought mine for 250 I got the 120 back. I have 3 x 2tb and using between 30-50 watts. Probably could lower that again as mine is 2yr old tech. I built a mini HTPC for 400 to replace the Pi. Could probably knock 100 off the HTPC and still have a pretty decent rig.

The server route? Given how little use it'd get, I'm not gone on the idea. I really just want something small for 85/90% of use which is internet, & then maybe a small NAS setup for the other 10% of use...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

stylie wrote: »

After my recent experience with a HP Proliant ML310e I would not advise anyone to get one if they intend to put anything into it that is not specifically approved by HP and they want something reasonably quiet.

I intended to use it as a backend server with tuner cards for LiveTV as well as media storage etc. and don't have a 'server room' at home.

Out of box it runs nice and quiet.
    Put a card into a PCI-e slot and the fans ramp up and are unnecessarily fast and noisy.
    HP does not want to know anything about the problem, despite many users complaining and quite a number of threads about it on line.

It would be a nice machine if you never intend to put in a PCI-e card ..... or use one that is specifically approved by HP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

After my recent experience with a HP Proliant ML310e I would not advise anyone to get one if they intend to put anything into it that is not specifically approved by HP and they want something reasonably quiet.

I intended to use it as a backend server with tuner cards for LiveTV as well as media storage etc. and don't have a 'server room' at home.

Out of box it runs nice and quiet.
    Put a card into a PCI-e slot and the fans ramp up and are unnecessarily fast and noisy.
    HP does not want to know anything about the problem, despite many users complaining and quite a number of threads about it on line.

It would be a nice machine if you never intend to put in a PCI-e card ..... or use one that is specifically approved by HP.

Go order some proper aftermarket fans like any normal enthusiast does. Check out Scythe Flex or Yate Loons for better airflow low noise fans. Remove the dust guard mesh if there any, it usually hinders airflow, you'll just have to open and blow out the dust every few months. There used be a pc modding community here on boards, build, modify and watercool their pcs, ah the good ol days, ask in the pc building forum, you'll get advise on fans.

The OP doesn't mention tuner cards. I have a Proliant with 10TB storage and its one of the best investments I've made. I use it as media server/download box/ip camera nvr, it sits on a shelf in the spare room, I don't care about noise but it is very silent and very neat and compact.

The OP doesn't mention tuner cards. I have a Proliant with 10TB storage and its one of the best investments I've made. I use it as media server/download box/ip camera nvr, it sits on a shelf in the spare room, I don't care about noise but it is very silent and very neat and compact.

There are no tuner cards to consider, the pc as is is used to browse the net & watch content off the internal drives...I don't even use the optical drive. So I'm looking for a way to separate out the TB's of movies/shows etc, & just have them on hand only when needed....that's why I figured a laptop with tv connectivity in conjunction with a NAS setup seems the best approach?

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    There are no tuner cards to consider, the pc as is is used to browse the net & watch content off the internal drives...I don't even use the optical drive. So I'm looking for a way to separate out the TB's of movies/shows etc, & just have them on hand only when needed....that's why I figured a laptop with tv connectivity in conjunction with a NAS setup seems the best approach?

You'll struggle to find lower power usage than the Proliant, uses about ~30w ticking over, can also be used as a HTPC if you add a HDMI graphics card

You'll struggle to find lower power usage than the Proliant, uses about ~30w ticking over, can also be used as a HTPC if you add a HDMI graphics card

I don't really want a server though...I browse the net for 90% of the computers usage, the other 10% is spent watching content on it. Would a few drives in an NAS bay not be as good given my needs?

I don't really want a server though...I browse the net for 90% of the computers usage, the other 10% is spent watching content on it. Would a few drives in an NAS bay not be as good given my needs?

This is exactly what this is. It's a very low power PC (or nas) with 4 HD bays, use it as a nas if you wish but you might as well use it as a PC/HTPC by adding a HDMI gpu. You seem to have this idea that a server is a huge heavy piece of kit, it's just a pc that keeps running. This Proliant would have half the power draw compared to a laptop and equivalent to any nas

This is exactly what this is. It's a very low power PC (or nas) with 4 HD bays, use it as a nas if you wish but you might as well use it as a PC/HTPC by adding a HDMI gpu. You seem to have this idea that a server is a huge heavy piece of kit, it's just a pc that keeps running. This Proliant would have half the power draw compared to a laptop and equivalent to any nas

Ah, fair enough will take a closer look at it so. Cheers

Ah, fair enough will take a closer look at it so. Cheers

Check out the thread on bargain alerts, every few months there a €120 cash back offer from HP

• Advertisement

Go order some proper aftermarket fans like any normal enthusiast does. Check out Scythe Flex or Yate Loons for better airflow low noise fans. Remove the dust guard mesh if there any, it usually hinders airflow, you'll just have to open and blow out the dust every few months. There used be a pc modding community here on boards, build, modify and watercool their pcs, ah the good ol days, ask in the pc building forum, you'll get advise on fans.

It has nothing to do with tuner cards ....... ANY PCI-e card that is NOT approved by HP has the same effect.
    The OP mentioned HTPC ..... and quite a lot of them have tuner cards ;)

It is obvious you have not looked at any of the newer boxes from HP ... the Gen8 have the iLO in firmware on board.

The firmware determines the speed of the fans, and apparently HP has decided to boost the fan speed unnecessarily on insertion of an unapproved PCI-e card.

With an unused card in there, generating no heat, the fans will triple in speed!

Putting in a Graphics card will have the same affect.

Replacing the fans is not the solution!

With an unused card in there, generating no heat, the fans will triple in speed!

Putting in a Graphics card will have the same affect.

Replacing the fans is not the solution!

I can understand why they do, there is little airflow, it does not need it, they want you using passive devices. There's plenty of options. Get quieter fans and use an inline fan speed controller. Fans are controlled by voltage so either control the voltage or stop the board powering the fan. Stock fans are always terribly noisy.

I can understand why they do, there is little airflow, it does not need it, they want you using passive devices.

Huh? They triple the speed of the fans because there is little or no heat generated?

They do this, not based on any temperature reading (there are 12 temperature sensors active on this motherboard) but only based on the fact that there is a card inserted, regardless its temperature contribution to the case.
    There's plenty of options. Get quieter fans and use an inline fan speed controller. Fans are controlled by voltage so either control the voltage or stop the board powering the fan. Stock fans are always terribly noisy.

The fans are not controlled by voltage!
    They are PWM fans, controlled by PWM from the motherboard, with their sense output directly coupled to the motherboard for direct feedback to monitor the fan state.

Interfere with that and the server shuts down due to a 'fault' situation.

I think you need to brush up on what the Gen8 HP servers are doing about monitoring and control.

Easy, connect the ground going to the fan to 5V, you'll need decent ball bearing fans, some fans whirr when you do this

Easy, connect the ground going to the fan to 5V, you'll need decent ball bearing fans, some fans whirr when you do this

Would you care to explain how that would work with PWN controlled fans?

Would you care to explain how that would work with PWN controlled fans?

The exact same way only the fan only receives 7v, not the full 12v

The exact same way only the fan only receives 7v, not the full 12v

Have you actually tried to do this with a PWM fan in a HP Gen8 server?

Have you actually tried to do this with a PWM fan in a HP Gen8 server?

You know I haven't, I already said I don't need it. I'm just trying to explain that there are other avenues to investigate, make of it what you will.

You know I haven't, I already said I don't need it. I'm just trying to explain that there are other avenues to investigate, make of it what you will.

I have been trying to explain to you that you cannot do those simple voltage adjustments with a PWM fan in a Gen8 server ..... and as far as I am aware all the server offers from HP are Gen8.

Advertisement