Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Krav maga

Options
  • 24-06-2014 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I am thinking of joining a Krav Maga class, what can i expect at the class? Ive never done anything like this before and feel a little daunted...dont wanna be outta my depth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

What do want to get out of the class? From what I've witnessed personally (we share a mat with KM guys and they train before us) they mostly do self defebse type drills, and not much fitness based stuff (sparring, hiting bags etc).

You shouldn't feel out of your depth in any martial arts class, you'll pick up what's going on soon enough and fit in in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Why Krav Maga?

If you read up about martial arts you'll get a broad idea of what's done in each style Going in 'blind' is fine, but it may be better to either talk to someone who's already doing it or reading up about it beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kate07

I want to try something different from the usual classes, I see there is a class locally and am interested. I googled it and see its more for self defense than fitness? Think i will try it and see, just be afraid I would be out of my depth, but suppose every one gotta start somewhere :) Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Oki9Sedo!

kate07 wrote: »
    I am thinking of joining a Krav Maga class, what can i expect at the class? Ive never done anything like this before and feel a little daunted...dont wanna be outta my depth.

I train in Krav Maga myself.

It's an Israeli self-defence system that uses simple techniques that are based on the body's natural responses to a particular attack. They are therefore easily learned and easily performed during the stress of an attack. They're also very direct and effective.

It's used by hundreds of law enforcement and Special Forces units around the world and if that's not an indicator that it's a good system I don't know what is.

Classes involve a mixture of learning the techniques and fitness training.

You don't need to be fit to start; there are beginners and advanced classes.

I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for all your advice, I went and loved it, it was great fun and wasnt outta my depth at all, there was various different levels of fitness there, and ya could go as hard as ya wanted. Really enjoyd it and learnt some good moved, will definitely be going again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 thedave1989

kate07 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your advice, I went and loved it, it was great fun and wasnt outta my depth at all, there was various different levels of fitness there, and ya could go as hard as ya wanted. Really enjoyd it and learnt some good moved, will definitely be going again. :)

Hi have you wemt to anymore classes and any update on how you found them. Is it worth doing

I left the location a few months after, so where I am now ive not found any krav maga classes, i would definitely go if I get the opportunity again! :)

Advertisement