Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library audio download refusal

Options
  • 24-06-2014 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I was sourcing electronic library access for a friend who is visually impaired and wanted to avail of audio downloads from libraries electronic data bases in Dublin. I tried two libraries and they had no problem issuing library membership for electronic services for people outside Dublin but unfortunately the library with the biggest audio collection did refuse membership saying they were 'legally bound' only to offer services in their particular area of Dublin...can anyone please shed some light on why some libraries can lend ebooks/audio books outside Dublin and some can't?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Libraries are generally pretty good on equality/disability issues. You could try formally requesting a 'reasonable accommodation' relating to the person's disability and see if that would help. Or request items through your own library as inter-library loans?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 majella mallon

Thank you for your reply and I agree any libraries I have worked with over the years have been very accommodating and are willing to help in any situation.
    I did contact this one library and it still refused access to ebooks/audio books (my own local library does not have electronic facilities).
    The library in question has probably the greatest collection of audio books which is a shame, eventually they give the excuse that pirating of ebooks had been taking place -but 'overdrive' the app that facilitates the reading of these ebooks/audiobooks makes it impossible to download and copy ebooks-so not really a viable excuse as all other libraries I contacted were willing to lend albeit that their audio sections are a little depleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Maybe try calling the County Library headquarters and see if they can help you. Their number can be found on their website.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/library/hq.html

I am guessing you will need to talk or get in touch with their Policy Coordinator, listed on that page, there is an email there too for them.

Advertisement