Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest time of the year to buy a road bike

Options
  • 23-06-2014 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hello,

The vintage road bike I'd been using relatively happily until recently is getting very worn out and I'm debating in my head the extent to which it is worth pouring even more money into parts/repairs. I'm wondering when the cheapest time of the year to get a replacement would be. I had always assumed that it would be October ish, so that last seasons stock could be shifted in order to start selling 2015 bikes for the Christmas market, but I've heard one of my LBS's say that they've started getting in 2015 stock recently, so I'm wondering if the 2014 sell offs tend to happen earlier than I thought? Or if it is all totally irrelevant if stock planning tends to be so good that prices don't change much. Sadly I'm not in a position to benefit from the bike to work scheme at the moment. I don't mind the idea of second hand in theory, but bit wary of not knowing what sort of a condition a bike is in/what it has been through a also want to get something that fits really well which is probably easier when new.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

they'll sell off this seasons stock around august onwards after 2015 bikes are announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I find, that the cheapest time, is about two weeks after, I buy a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

From personal experience, November/December is the best time to buy new or second hand bikes.

Shops are looking to clear stock for the new year and they will be discounting last years bikes to make way for the next years new models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Really, with the bike to work scheme, buying a good quality bike is an absolute no-brainer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

keith16 wrote: »
    Really, with the bike to work scheme, buying a good quality bike is an absolute no-brainer.

combine both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭breanach78

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I find, that the cheapest time, is about two weeks after, I buy a bike.

I hear ya! Not just bikes but everything!
    Like godt and Cj state above new, next years, stock comes available from August on so the years previous stock should be discounted. Know what your buying and know the year of it. Don't be shy bargaining either.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

Just noticed this thread and like the OP, I was wondering the same. Itching to get a new road bike.

Notice Orbea are doing 25% off their 2014 range now and some makes already have their 2015 range on their sites.

So hopefully not long to wait for some good savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Contact some bile hire companies. Some sell their stock at the end of the summer for a lot less than you will pay for elsewhere. Did this a few years back and got a good basic bike with good range of gears etc and very little wear and tear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

mgray wrote: »
    Just noticed this thread and like the OP, I was wondering the same. Itching to get a new road bike.

Notice Orbea are doing 25% off their 2014 range now and some makes already have their 2015 range on their sites.

Depends on the manufacturer and when dealers want to get rid of old stock 2014 stock. that could be anywhere from october to march/april. I recently got a 40% discount on a 2013 road bike, because I am just fine having that slightly out of fashion colour stripe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cakewheels

dissed doc wrote: »
    Depends on the manufacturer and when dealers want to get rid of old stock 2014 stock. that could be anywhere from october to march/april. I recently got a 40% discount on a 2013 road bike, because I am just fine having that slightly out of fashion colour stripe :)

Dissed Doc - any chance you could tell us what brand the bike was and/or what shop you got it from? Sounds like a great deal!

Mgray - where did you see the 25% off Orbea? Maybe I missed the boat but not seeing it on their own site or on any of the top results on google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

mgray wrote: »

orbea are revamping the orca range next year, local shop has 30% off one down to about 2.5k

lots of online bargains at crc and wiggle now

Advertisement