Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE TWO (1978)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

Had Conor Cruise O'Brien had his way the purpose of the second channel would have been to rebroadcast BBC 1 NI in its entirety but when FF came to power in 1977 that idea was thankfully dumped. In its very early days RTE made a good effort with RTE 2 but the presentation style didn't vary from RTE 1 and a lot of the schedule was indeed taken up with live re-broadcasts of UK programming. Printout was a decent newspaper review and other home produced programming like Aisling Geal and World Week were worthwhile.

RTE 2 really took a hit quality wise after 1981 - the schedule was truly dire from then apart from MT USA - until the Network 2 rebrand in 1988.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

RTE 2 really took a hit quality wise after 1981 - the schedule was truly dire from then apart from MT USA - until the Network 2 rebrand in 1988.

I think RTE 1 output was dire over that time as well, if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

MT USA
    She's got legs, she knows how to use them.
    She never begs, she knows how to choose them.
    She's holdin' leg wonderin' how to feel them.
    Would you get behind them if you could only find them?
    She's my baby, she's my baby,
    yeah, it's alright.

She's got hair down to her fanny.
    She's kinda jet set, try undo her panties.
    Everytime she's dancin' she knows what to do.
    Everybody wants to see if she can use it.
    She's so fine, she's all mine,
    girl, you got it right.

She's got legs, she knows how to use them.
    She never begs, she knows how to choose them.
    She's got a dime all of the time,
    stays out at night movin' through time.
    Oh, I want her, said, I got to have her,
    the girl is alright, she's alright.

Good night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Had Conor Cruise O'Brien had his way the purpose of the second channel would have been to rebroadcast BBC 1 NI in its entirety but when FF came to power in 1977 that idea was thankfully dumped.

To be fair that's basically what the people wanted. The only real reason RTE2 was set up was to provide a choice for those without access to UK stations. The various new Irish programmes that were broadcast on the station could easily have been accommodated on the one channel.
    In its very early days RTE made a good effort with RTE 2 but the presentation style didn't vary from RTE 1 and a lot of the schedule was indeed taken up with live re-broadcasts of UK programming. Printout was a decent newspaper review and other home produced programming like Aisling Geal and World Week were worthwhile.

The first 3 or so year weren't bad at all but the station was always in crisis after 1981, basically because RTE really didn't have the resources to run 2 TV stations. There was serious consideration given to closing it down on more than one occasion and If we had won the eurovision in the mid 80's it's almost certain that would have happened.

Remember we didn't even enter the eurovision I think in 1985 because RTE was so short of cash.

Advertisement