Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawk moth?

Options
  • 23-06-2014 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,I spotted this fella on the wall of a house in Kerry on sunday,think it one of the hawk moths but stand to be corrected,really stunning creature with very vivid colouring,got some pics and a short vid, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxIXP7sRA94&feature=youtu.be
    video available in Hd
    there was another moth which I had never come across also,the white one in the pics,just thought id share them,regards

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the pink one is an elephant hawk moth:

http://www.animalphotos.me/moth/moth-ele.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

that's it alright,cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the other one may be an ermine moth?

Looks like an ermine moth alright.cheers

Looks like an ermine moth alright.cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Pat_Planky

That's right.
    A hawk moth.
    The real give away is if you are lucky enough to see them feeding from a flower. They hover like a hummingbird. Quite a sight

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

Pat_Planky wrote: »
    That's right.
    A hawk moth.
    The real give away is if you are lucky enough to see them feeding from a flower. They hover like a hummingbird. Quite a sight
    I think you are thinking of a Hummingbird Hawk-moth Macroglossum stellatarum.

splish wrote: »
    I think you are thinking of a Hummingbird Hawk-moth Macroglossum stellatarum.

Brown with a very long proboscis when unrolled???

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

Pat_Planky wrote: »
    Brown with a very long proboscis when unrolled???
    http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=1984

That's the one. Years since I saw it but it left quite an impression

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

I had the pleasure of seeing one in my own garden two summers ago.
    I literally saw it for fleeting seconds(no chance to get a pic.!),but it definitely left a lasting impression too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had one here in Bray that managed to get trapped in my conservatory earlier this year. It took ages to coax it out again.

Advertisement