Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing every week?

Options
  • 23-06-2014 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

With the summer races well and truly upon us I have noticed that I am likely to do a race almost every week for the next month. Mostly 5k, 4m or 5m races. I am doing them mostly because I like doing them and it keeps me interested.

My question is does racing every week have a negative affect on training and is there any benefits of doing this?

Dont really have any immediate running goals at moment, will probably target DCM so will be doing lots of longer easy running around the races for the next month or 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

Cona wrote: »
    With the summer races well and truly upon us I have noticed that I am likely to do a race almost every week for the next month. Mostly 5k, 4m or 5m races. I am doing them mostly because I like doing them and it keeps me interested.

My question is does racing every week have a negative affect on training and is there any benefits of doing this?

Dont really have any immediate running goals at moment, will probably target DCM so will be doing lots of longer easy running around the races for the next month or 2

If it is causing you to get faster then keep at it. If your performances are not improving then think about more structured session than just a race.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

does the week revolve around the race or the training? is the training suffering to accomodate the race, or the race just another session in the training?

if it's the latter then what harm, and as rom said as long as you're getting faster (overall, can't get faster every race).

anyway, no point in all the training if you don't get to enjoy warm weather evenings racing, and we don't get a lot of it so make hay...

Advertisement