Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can you be allowed to type your LC?

Options
  • 23-06-2014 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

What kind of criteria must you fulfill, and who must you talk to if you are looking to be allowed to type your leaving cert? thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Ka_yl_ei_gh

romakarol wrote: »
    What kind of criteria must you fulfill, and who must you talk to if you are looking to be allowed to type your leaving cert? thanks for any help.

To qualify for extra resources i.e. typing the exams, you need a cert less than 3 years old stating you need the help. Something like that anyway.

You have to have proof that you are incapable of writing the exam and a Consultant's report and/or Occupational Therapists report that has been written within the last four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭romakarol

Who do I present this to? aka how do I actually apply?
    Who would I go to to get that type of certificate. Aka can I just go to any GP and say "I think I need help doing a leaving certificate. Can you see if there is anything wrong with me and provide a certificate if I can get one?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

How quick can you type? LC history or english would be no craic typing, but then again I'm a crap typist.

Faster than I can write, that's for sure. Plus its much easier to learn to speedtype (properly) than it is to increase your handwriting speed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think that you need to be diagnosed with a condition like dyslexia or dyspraxia to qualify.

• Advertisement

xxx.examinations.ie/schools/2014_JC_&_LC_Guidelines_for_RACE.pdf (replaces xxx. with www.)

Here is the link I read that outlines it. It seem kinda vague so rather than saying you need a condition, could you just tell me how I can try to apply? Thank you.

For example I was almost diagnosed with autism when I was young, I had a helping teacher for a time in primary school, and my hands are constantly shaking for reasons undiagnosed. So I would like to just try and apply. Can I just flat out ask a GP about this? Thanks all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AFAIK an educational psychologist has to make the decision. In some cases you would be assigned a scribe rather than being allowed type.

Do you have a disability or do you just find typing faster than writing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Ka_yl_ei_gh

Who do I present this to? aka how do I actually apply?
    Who would I go to to get that type of certificate. Aka can I just go to any GP and say "I think I need help doing a leaving certificate. Can you see if there is anything wrong with me and provide a certificate if I can get one?"

I'm not sure but when I applied for a room by myself I had to talk to the principal and then I needed to get a Cert from my GP :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Something similar to dyspraxia should qualify you, as pointed out already. I have dyspraxia (diagnosed by an occupational therapist) and was given computer access for the JC and will probably get it for the LC too.

Thanks for the advice all. I'll get in touch with my old educational psychologist from primary school. If she can't help I'll talk to a principal/gp as suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Thanks for the advice all. I'll get in touch with my old educational psychologist from primary school. If she can't help I'll talk to a principal/gp as suggested.

Talking to the principal or the exams officer (usually a teacher) in school would be a good first start. They will let you know what you need exactly and where to go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 angelj

Might also be useful to contact the State Exam Comission (part of the Dept of Education) in Athlone, who process all applications. Basically, there are 2 reasons for accommodations for exams: a Specific Learning Difficulty (i.e dyslexia) or a physical disability (such as dyspraxia etc). Make sure that you have decent typing speeds if typing is what you're looking for! Best of luck with exams

Advertisement