Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

priming new plasterboard

Options
  • 23-06-2014 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

I've been reading conflicting views on whether I should use pva or watered down paint. Anyone got any opinions? Just to add it has not been plastered but taped and filled.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭dodzy

jeepers101 wrote: »
    I've been reading conflicting views on whether I should use pva or watered down paint. Anyone got any opinions? Just to add it has not been plastered but taped and filled.
    Slight water down of first coat. Then apply second coat as normal. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

When you say slight water down do you mean 10%, 20%? I'm using dulux total cover matt white.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

As there is no plaster on the boards there is no need to do anything but paint it. There is paper on both sides of the boards. The paint will grip this.

If you want water down the first coat but there is no need.

Pollybond was used years ago on plaster so that wallpaper could grip the wall. If the plaster is going to be painted, the paint needs to be watered down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭dodzy

When you say slight water down do you mean 10%, 20%? I'm using dulux total cover matt white.
    As sleeper has said, really no need, and I should not have suggested it. I would normally be painting on fresh plaster and I'd add 10-15% water to first coat out of habit. Forget the watering in your case. 2 coats and you're set ;)

Four coats in now lads and still looks like it needs more. Should I bite the bullet and use the pva now? Head wrecked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Four coats in now lads and still looks like it needs more. Should I bite the bullet and use the pva now? Head wrecked

No. Pva was never for paint. All it'll do is put a shine on the wall. It was used for wallpaper. For painting walls you would dilute the paint. But all of this is for plaster. You are painting paper (paper on the plaster board.

I hate to ask, but you didn't buy Woodies or B&Q own brand? You might have to put on up to 10 coats if you did.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    No. Pva was never for paint. All it'll do is put a shine on the wall. It was used for wallpaper. For painting walls you would dilute the paint. But all of this is for plaster. You are painting paper (paper on the plaster board.

I hate to ask, but you didn't buy Woodies or B&Q own brand? You might have to put on up to 10 coats if you did.

No its dulux matt. I'll keep lamping it on so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

You should never put pure paint on taped and filled plasterboards.Pure paint will only sit on the joint filler and it doesn't grip raw boards well either.

OP did you water all the paint you got down?
    Are you using a medium pile roller or are you brushing it on?
    1st coat watered down followed by two pure coats should be ample.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Out here it's all taping & jointing (mudding). The drywall fellows always prime the wall - so the homeowner can see if there are any blemishes. Also it's recommended by US Gypsum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Just found this thread, I thought plasterboard would be skimmed with a light skim of plaster.
    joints and corners are done with something in mine but I cant see where, looking at it, I cant see where the joints were but Id guess they weren't just layered with paint coats, would a skim of plaster adhere over that?

Whats the size of board used? 8*4? or 6?

• Advertisement

game4it70 wrote: »
    You should never put pure paint on taped and filled plasterboards.Pure paint will only sit on the joint filler and it doesn't grip raw boards well either.

OP did you water all the paint you got down?
    Are you using a medium pile roller or are you brushing it on?
    1st coat watered down followed by two pure coats should be ample.

Used roller to put it on. Didn't water it down. Five coats now and still looks patchy in places. What should I do? Blistered hands now from painting.

there's many jobs Id consider taking on, but plastering beyond filling in a hole up to about a hand size (preferably something that will still be hidden behind something) just isnt one of them. Tried to smooth over a wall once with a bucket of self plastering stuff, nightmare, anything highly visible, I just wouldnt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Used roller to put it on. Didn't water it down. Five coats now and still looks patchy in places. What should I do? Blistered hands now from painting.

How long are you leaving between coats?

How long are you leaving between coats?

4 hours minimum. Paint tub says 2-4 hours.

4 hours minimum. Paint tub says 2-4 hours.

That's probably for plastered/skimmed walls. The paper on the boards will soak the paint and take longer to dry!

Make sure you double roll everything aswell.

That's probably for plastered/skimmed walls. The paper on the boards will soak the paint and take longer to dry!

Make sure you double roll everything aswell.

What does double roll mean?

What does double roll mean?

Roll out a wall with a light coat,leave it ten mins and then go back over it again

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭anonanymore

It's too late now but I used Gypsum Drywall Primer first. Then 2-3 coats of good quality emulsion. Great finish.

So if I decide to renew some sections of plasterboard, just joint tape that up and get it skimmed there,
    and then just keep painting that and the rest of it a few times with some supermatte?
    I thought they skimmed the entire surface with a very light coat.

Im just looking at some of the external and internal corners in the house, I guess they skimmed that somehow, but you cant see it where there might be no skimmed plasterboard?
    Im also wondering what size of board is used, manageable possible to put up and move around without breaking, I cant see any joints on longer lengths of walls and the entire surface still has the same look on the surface.

Ive no jobs in mind at the moment, but Id planned to do some internal insulation and assumed/planned to get it skimmed to look reasonable, if that goes ahead, I'd prefer to do as much as possible and stay clear of any actual plastering, especially anything that requires it to look good, as despite my best and careful efforts, I made a right hames of trying it out before.

Id filled some holes and smoothed off some plaster where it had been broken, but these were in places where they would remain hidden, behind tiles, a rad and a kitchen cupboard.

Advertisement