Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New garden in a new house

Options
  • 22-06-2014 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

I'm a novice on gardening but we've just got the roof on a new house and I'm hoping to start work on the garden. Hopefully I can get some guidance here.

With the raft and floor in the house, the difference between the floor and the outside is about 70cm so I must raise the ground. I plan to do this using graded topsoil. Before I start I am planning on picking up all the stones on the soil at the moment and levelling the ground. I will then add some drainage pipes to allow excess water to run off with the rainwater gully.

I've attached a picture of the ground (alot more stone in it now) but I wondered if there is something else I should be considering. Its a small enough space, about 10mX10m with a patio removed.

If ordering topsoil, how much would be needed to raise the ground 70cm x 80sqm ? Do I compact it ever 20cm or will I just add an extra 10cm in height and let it settle?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi I would build a stone retaining wall against the old stone wall.jack

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

ponddigger wrote: »

i was thinking the same or it could be the makings of a nice rockery soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

ponddigger wrote: »

Cheers. Actually have a strip foundation down along it now.. need to block it up..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you are putting in 70cm of topsoil there is no need to take out stones. I would think that over 2 ft of graded topsoil is a bit excessive, but I will stand corrected on that. I doubt many gardens have that much topsoil naturally. I personally would not go near it with topsoil till the roof was on and the scaffolding down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

looksee wrote: »
    If you are putting in 70cm of topsoil there is no need to take out stones. I would think that over 2 ft of graded topsoil is a bit excessive, but I will stand corrected on that. I doubt many gardens have that much topsoil naturally. I personally would not go near it with topsoil till the roof was on and the scaffolding down.

Scaffolding just down so would be great to kick start. What's the normal process then.. build the retaining wall, put in the drainage, put the soil down and compact with rubble before the patio is started. .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I know you need to make sure the old stone wall is stable but it is a fantastic feature for your garden and I hope you are not going to do anything to ruin its character.
    They say it is a good idea to sort out first your ground in a new garden, which it seems you are doing and then to design your surrounding. I think a lot of people neglect that in designing a garden.
    You could look on it as the background to a painting it is what you will set everything else against.
    Stone is a great feature and it looks like it might tie into whats found in your locality. Sometimes people dont appreciate what they have in their own locality because they are so used to looking at it but have another look at what can be done with it, please dont put block in front of that stone.

Stone was a big feature in the RTE garden design competition for Bloom this year. It could be the inspiration for an unusual garden. How about working with split levels and having a low stone wall leading up to the next level.

58027e53f321e692cb1c45f15ca6cbbc.jpg
    http://www.pinterest.com/explore/stone-patios/?p=0

homeimage_33162874_max_304x254.jpg
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/home-ideas/split-level/garden.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I was also thinking that it would be important, especially with a new house to pay attention to the movement of the sun across the garden. You might want to create different seating areas for breakfast outdoors on days like this where the sun will be in a different place in the garden for the evening or afternoon.
    Is there a place that is a sun trap that will even give you shelter and heat on a bright winter day ?
    In the Irish climate we need to make the most use of the sun so the position of the patio or seating areas might need to reflect that rather than what looks good on paper as a design.
    Some designs make wider use of seating areas. Look around at designs and think before setting too much out on impulse. Google images, use Pintrest and Houzz
    You dont have to build it all at once but your initial plans could leave a place to put things in as you can afford them if thats your situation.
    Who wouldnt love to sit out in either of these.

ae51b684739155d37782e669e5fc12f2.jpg

53f48c29206b5bccc45954a149126648.jpg

http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=garden%20eating%20area

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

The wall at the back looks well and could be a feature of the finished garden, but it looks like there is a "roadway" behind it. If so you need to make sure you are safe if anything disturbs it. If your retaining wall is more than a foot or two away from it you should be ok.
    Good luck with your project.

Advertisement