Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby bird ID please.

Options
  • 22-06-2014 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Hello,

My son and his friend found this baby bird yesterday. Can anyone ID this fella and possibly recommend what should be done with it? He's about the size of a large orange.

bird.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Odelay

No idea what he is, but what is he sitting beside?!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Looks like some kind of duck from that angle.
    Odelay wrote: »
    No idea what he is, but what is he sitting beside?!

Was wondering that too, was thinking it was a croc,

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

It looks like he is going to be dinner:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Where did you find it, op? You in all likelihood should have left it where it was...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Could be a baby pigeon?
    Looks a bit like this fella:http://www.petsamaritans.co.uk/baby-pigeon-or-is-it/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

it's a croc garden ornament thing, don't ask.

my wife took the photos, someone suggested a duckling but it seems to has a hooked beak, not flat like you'd expect from a duck. I also thing it's too big for a ducking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Probably a young feral pigeon. Probably fell out of nest.

endacl wrote: »
    Where did you find it, op? You in all likelihood should have left it where it was...

He was found on the side of a dirt path on bordering a field and a wood. I didn't find it, my 8 year old son and his friend did. And, after the trouble they went through "saving" the thing - carrying it in his bicycle helmet and tending to it for a couple of hours last night - I'm not going to tell him he should have left it be.

That pigeon photo does certainly look like a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

eas wrote: »
    He was found on the side of a dirt path on bordering a field and a wood. I didn't find it, my 8 year old son and his friend did. And, after the trouble they went through "saving" the thing - carrying it in his bicycle helmet and tending to it for a couple of hours last night - I'm not going to tell him he should have left it be.

If it is a pigeon, loads of info here :) :http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/caringforababypigeon.htm

More info:http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f23/feed-and-care-for-baby-pigeon-help-48378.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It does indeed.

Apologies for reading your post wrong by the way....

It might be no harm though to have a chat with the young fella. In future it's probably better to leave chicks as they are. What looks like a bird in trouble is in all likllihood a ground-nesting species doing its best not to be seen.

On a side note, nice to hear about kids out and about! As it used to be, and should be.

• Advertisement

great stuff, thanks all.

I will have that chat with him endacl, good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

Its a pigeon squab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Given he found it beside a wood. It's probably a wood pigeon. Young wood pigeons are very hard to rear, but no harm in trying. It would have certainly died if it was left where it was. The bird is far from being fledged.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

I've raised juvenile wood pigeons in the past. They will learn to take runny porridge with added seeds from your mouth. You need to take their beak in your mouth between pursed lips. It will get used to it. It will squeak when hungry

As they come in pairs I would maybe take it back to where you found it and get it up a tree or tall bush

Advertisement