Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best biscuit for Chocolate Biscuit Cake

Options
  • 22-06-2014 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I am making a chocolate biscuit cake for a friends wedding. As I have to travel to the wedding, I will be making it 2 days before the wedding. I have being using Rich tea biscuits which are lovely and crunchy initially but I'm afraid they'll be soft on the wedding day.

Has anybody any tips on which biscuit to use and how to slow down the inevitable loss of crunch from the cake?!

The recipe I am using is 4oz choc, 4oz unsalted butter, 4 oz caster sugar, 1 egg, 2 tblsp drinking chocolate powder and 200g biscuit pieces.

Any advice will be very welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Kookai wrote: »
    I am making a chocolate biscuit cake for a friends wedding. As I have to travel to the wedding, I will be making it 2 days before the wedding. I have being using Rich tea biscuits which are lovely and crunchy initially but I'm afraid they'll be soft on the wedding day.

Has anybody any tips on which biscuit to use and how to slow down the inevitable loss of crunch from the cake?!

The recipe I am using is 4oz choc, 4oz unsalted butter, 4 oz caster sugar, 1 egg, 2 tblsp drinking chocolate powder and 200g biscuit pieces.

Any advice will be very welcome!
    I usually use half rich tea and half digestive. Never had a issue with softness as long as its well wrapped up and sealed in the fridge, exposure to air would soften them alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭phormium

I find digestives stay crunchier than rich tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I too use half rich tea and half digestives and they have never gone soft.

One tip I was given that I always follow is to let the chocolate mixture cool before adding in the biscuits. It will thicken up slightly, so less likely that the biscuits will absorb the moisture and go soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lomadesigns

I use a mixture of digestive and rich tea biscuits yum yum. and then add malteasers and there is an extra biscuit crunch..... save me a slice!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

I use digestive and rich tea also. CBC can last a week without softening so I wouldn't worry at all if you are baking only a couple of days in advance. Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

half rich tea, half digestives for me too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

does anyone have a good recipe for chocolate biscuit cake? i made one last week and it went stale in 24 hours, i have no idea why!

ah i used condensed milk, maybe that was the problem?

I don't know tbh, you could have stored it incorrectly, or it could have been due to the sticky weather of late, I don't know exactly what you mean by it was stale.
    I've only ever used the odlums recipe, and the cake keeps for up to 2 weeks in the fridge

• Advertisement

well i stored it in a airtight container and all the biscuits in it were all stale so i don't know what i did wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

ene wrote: »
    well i stored it in a airtight container and all the biscuits in it were all stale so i don't know what i did wrong!
    I use the odlums recipe you should try that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭msshono

I use the odlums recipe you should try that one.

I agree, it's pretty much fool proof as far as I've experienced. Would recommend reducing butter by 30-40g as there was a buttery after taste otherwise. When I reduced it, it was perfect.

Ginger nuts and digestives are delicious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kookai

I made the cake with half digestive and half rich tea and let the mixture cool before adding the biscuits and made doubly sure to make sure it was well wrapped..........it worked really well. Thank you for all the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NFR

Aldi - Malt Biscuits - they give the best flavour, and the best texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary90

I know I'm late to the party but just said I'd share my two cents! I find Marrietta biscuits are perfect for biscuit cakes, not too heavy, have a nice texture and a bit of sweetness to them that adds to the cake! Nom!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spaniel heaven

Has to be straight digestives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

I use all rich tea and prefer it that way :) No condensed milk just good quality dark chocolate, butter and some golden syrup in mine and it always goes down a storm! Chuck in whatever you fancy like raisins/hazelnuts/malteasers too!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Good suggestions here in this Random Recipe covering Digestives, Mariettas, Rich Tea & Ginger Nuts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement