Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would birds deal with driveway moss/weeds?

Options
  • 22-06-2014 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine had a lot of moss on his small garden shed. He threw bread on the roof to feed birds and lo and behold he discovered that not only did the bread go, but also the moss!!

Could the same be done with a brick driveway where there is moss/weeds? If not bread, then how about seeds?

Would it work do you think? Anyone tried it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I applaud your laziness...I mean, I would applaud you if I wasn't so lazy myself.

It'd take more effort to place the seed along the moss lines between the bricks, than to just spray or powerwash the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I applaud your laziness...I mean, I would applaud you if I wasn't so lazy myself.

It'd take more effort to place the seed along the moss lines between the bricks, than to just spray or powerwash the drive.

When I saw the garage roof after the birds had visited a number of times, it was absolutely spotless. I could not have made it cleaner myself. It was a cheap and very eco friendly way to deal with the problem. I had envisaged the birds just doing their own thing and scratching off moss with their claws. I have to say i already tried with some bits of bread but the birds must not have been too hungry. I have not tried seeds but m wondering anyway is summer a bad time to do this? There may be an abundance of sources of food already so they might turn up their noses to bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

No. Birds will take an easy meal over having to work for one. It may take a few days for them to realise there is free food available but when they know there is frequent, free food, they will haunt your place.

Advertisement