Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a Meteorite?

Options
  • 22-06-2014 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Found this in the garden doing it up. Different type of rock on my opinion to the others I've found.

Girlfriend thinks it's a meteorite? What's your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Coal slag? I find similar fairly regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

endacl wrote: »
    Coal slag? I find similar fairly regularly.

Don't think so. It's a kinda of deep purple colour. Photo doesn't show the colour properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭jackboy

Looks like a rock from the beach, are you near the coast?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would a meteorite be that smooth? That looks like it's been shaped by water to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Would a meteorite be that smooth? That looks like it's been shaped by water to me.

I was thinking the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i found a rock similar to that, its very light and i thought mine might be a meteorite/

IMAG0516.jpg

IMAG0519.jpg

i live beside the sea and i think thats where the nephew found it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Most meteorites are metallic, does it draw a magnet towards it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Most meteorites are metallic, does it draw a magnet towards it

ill try that.

edit: no

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Mickeroo wrote: »

Live in Kildare so no where near to the sea. Doesn't attract a magnet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

To Alcohol wrote: »
    Live in Kildare so no where near to the sea. Doesn't attract a magnet either.

Kildare was once at the bottom of the sea!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

if it doesn't attract a magnet the odds are 99.99999% it's not a meteorite

yours is not a meteorite like any I've ever seen.Although that big depression does resemble superficially a regmaglypt

for real meteorites check my adverts link ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Looks sedimentary to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 siobhy3

This evening my husband and I went metal detecting on the farm just for fun. We found plenty of rusty nails and barbed wire. Surprisingly we also found a rock under the earth. We initially thought the beeping was something under the rock but it turned out to be the rock itself. We are bemused as to what it might be and after doing some research and learning about meteorite testing we decided to do a few home tests. My husbands grandad often spoke about seeing a shooting star falling on the farm so we decided to look up asteroids and meteorites. This rock is very heavy and we read here on google to put a magnet to it. We put a magnet on a string and held it to the rock and it stuck to it. The second test was to file it to see the inside, aparantly if the inside contained a pattern known as chondrites which are silvery irregular spotting that it may be a meteorite. My husband used a grinder and it showed these spotting silvery patterns. Google also said to scrape the stone on a ceramic tile back and if it showed a brown sediment it was only stone. He did this and it didn't show any sediment. It is a large rock with rounded edges and as we have seen on google thumb like dents. Can someone advice where we can have this it tested, its quite large and very heavy. We live on the outskirts of Tipperary Town. Thanks in advance Siobhy.

This is my first post on here, is there a link where I can add a photo, thanks..

still trying to upload pics

• Registered Users Posts: 35,738 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.annahunt.com/shop/meteorite/

It does look like this. But is this even a meteorite .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I've sent a couple of samples to this site in the US, costs about 20 euro:

http://www.meteoritetesting.org/

You could try uploading your pics to https://vgy.me/ and then just copying the url.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 djmcsc

siobhy3 wrote: »
    still trying to upload pics

As a newbie I understand you need 5 or more posts to be able to load images.

It does look like this. But is this even a meteorite .

When it comes to sites that just say specifically it's a meteorite and no other information, I'd stay away. As for that piece, I''d say no, it's not.

I've sent a couple of samples to this site in the US, costs about 20 euro:

Hi @mickmackey1, have you had any results back on any you've sent them?

• Advertisement

Hi @siobhy3,
    I've sent a PM so I hope it's gone through. I been collecting and dealing in meteorites for a few years now and help run a FB page as well. We get quite a few people messaging us via FB quite regularly and dropping in to events we attend asking my opinion on pieces they have found. So I will be able to give some advice as to whether it's a meteorite or not. If you do get to load images here, what would be needed is good clear images of whole surface of the piece you have and a regular everyday object beside one of the image for size reference. If you can't load them here just drop me a PM. Stephen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

djmcsc wrote: »
    Hi @mickmackey1, have you had any results back on any you've sent them?
    Yes. Neither were meteorites, as I had suspected.

Yes. Neither were meteorites, as I had suspected.
    One day maybe

Advertisement