Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

marraige licence

Options
  • 22-06-2014 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    Im gettin married in aug in a civil ceremony and we have the registrar etc ready to go. the thing is we didnt realise we needed a 3 month notice for intent to marry.... has anybody been in this position before or know what avenue to go down? id love to be able to go get a quickie marraige licence if at all possible but cant seem to find much info on it. thanks in advance....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If you're having a civil celebrant you would've had to register intent. Did you not go to the HSE office to book everything? There's no marriage licence. You book an appointment and register intent and the celebrant will have all the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AmyMou87

lazygal wrote: »
    If you're having a civil celebrant you would've had to register intent. Did you not go to the HSE office to book everything? There's no marriage licence. You book an appointment and register intent and the celebrant will have all the paperwork.

my brother can solemnise the marraige so dont need a registrar from the hse. it was just crossed wires! do u know if it is necessary to have 3 months notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AmyMou87

lazygal wrote: »

my brother can solemnise the marraige so dont need a registrar from the hse. it was just crossed wires! do u know if it is necessary to have 3 months notice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You can get a judge to waive it but you have to have a good reason... I'm not sure 'I forgot' would sort it...

How come your brother didn't tell you this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

AmyMou87 wrote: »

Are you having a civil ceremony? Only the HSE does them. Everyone has to register intent regardless of the celebrant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I know of two people who've been in that position- one couple didn't realise it had to be done, the other couple I think just forgot. They both went before a judge and had it sorted. Maybe ring your nearest courthouse and make an enquiry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Odd indeed that your brother did not mention this to you... I hope ye get sorted out.. Perhaps if you did contact the civil office as well and explain they will help

Advertisement