Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swollen legs ankles

Options
  • 22-06-2014 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

hi . i HAD doing so well with my lack of symptoms to date .Currently 26+3. But the wrath of swollen ankles arrived yest . Not sure if hot weather added to it but v uncomfortable . Is this it now for next 3 months ?? Still aching this morning before even getting of bed. Ouch .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I think it's the heat. Mine are the same. I've given up wearing closed shoes and I am in flat flip flops and sandals (I've gone up a size as well, so bought cheap ones in dunnes). My work doesn't mind, they would rather have me there!

While it doesn't take much of the swelling down, I've found burt's bees mama bee leg and foot cream to have a nice cooling effect, along with Tesco Blossom tried leg spray to top off the effects in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Foot and ankle swelling is common enough towards the end of the third trimester but I would definitely mention it to your midwife. My midwife paid a home visit on Friday and said that morning foot swelling is sometimes a cause for concern so they'd automatically check for protein if this happens. Do you wake up with it or does it happen after you've walked a lot etc? I'm sure it's nothing to worry about but do mention it. A good way of getting rid of it is to elevate the feet where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Merkin wrote: »
    Foot and ankle swelling is common enough towards the end of the third trimester but I would definitely mention it to your midwife. My midwife paid a home visit on Friday and said that morning foot swelling is sometimes a cause for concern so they'd automatically check for protein if this happens. Do you wake up with it or does it happen after you've walked a lot etc? I'm sure it's nothing to worry about but do mention it. A good way of getting rid of it is to elevate the feet where possible.

Yesterday was the first day it happened and it was both hot and I'd been on my feet all day. Feet still ached this morning only but seem better today since. It is news symptom, not ongoing . I will invest anyway in those products C'mon , tnx . My book mention s it as a symptom in 2nd trimester but will certainly mention it to clinic just in case. I just wondered have many of you got it at my stage , if so does it last or does it come and go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

73trix wrote: »
    Yesterday was the first day it happened and it was both hot and I'd been on my feet all day. Feet still ached this morning only but seem better today since. It is news symptom, not ongoing . I will invest anyway in those products C'mon , tnx . My book mention s it as a symptom in 2nd trimester but will certainly mention it to clinic just in case. I just wondered have many of you got it at my stage , if so does it last or does it come and go ?
    I started getting swelling in my feet from around march (im 41 weeks now) if i was sitting for too long in a warm room so it can start earlier than you think but always worth mentioning. Mine always improved at night once I was in bed so once you can see each morning that they look better youre usually grand.

Always worth saying to your midwife but in this heat it's so hard to not swell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

My swelling goes down during the night, I can see my ankle bones again every morning. My swelling started after flying home to the states late in my 2nd trimester, then went away but has come back with the heat. Took it easy today with my feet up and very little swelling. My doc had noticed it at my last appt on a hot day that took 20 mins to walk to, but urine and BP were perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I had swollen ankles too
    I used to out legs on pillow in bed, used to kick it out of bed husband got the genius idea to put pillow under sheet :)
    Keep legs as elevated as possible and try to minimise standing (easier said than done I know)

Lisha wrote: »
    I had swollen ankles too
    I used to out legs on pillow in bed, used to kick it out of bed husband got the genius idea to put pillow under sheet :)
    Keep legs as elevated as possible and try to minimise standing (easier said than done I know)

What stage in your pregnancy were you at? How did you sleep when doing this with your legs i.e. on your back or side??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

What stage in your pregnancy were you at? How did you sleep when doing this with your legs i.e. on your back or side??

From about 26wks I was swollen got worse in hot weather (baby was born in mid September)
    I prefer to sleep on side but i remember sleep was very restless
    Try to limit fizzy drinks and salt too. Drink loads water
    At work at computer I used to sit and stand my feet on a box (similar size to shoe box) move about as much as possible and if on couch lie down when you can
    I had no other complications thank god

Lisha wrote: »
    From about 26wks I was swollen got worse in hot weather (baby was born in mid September)
    I prefer to sleep on side but i remember sleep was very restless
    Try to limit fizzy drinks and salt too. Drink loads water
    At work at computer I used to sit and stand my feet on a box (similar size to shoe box) move about as much as possible and if on couch lie down when you can
    I had no other complications thank god

Grand thanks, same as me so. ONly had them yest so not too worried yet but if happens again I will try the elevating legs in the bed. I sleep on my side too cos aren't you not s'posed to sleep on your back?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

hi . i HAD doing so well with my lack of symptoms to date .Currently 26+3. But the wrath of swollen ankles arrived yest . Not sure if hot weather added to it but v uncomfortable . Is this it now for next 3 months ?? Still aching this morning before even getting of bed. Ouch .

I was the exact same when I was pregnant, my doc just said to keep feet elevated as much as possible in evening time and keep the blood flowing as best you can, if you sit loads for your job or whatever do little exercises every so often like rotating your ankles and pointing your toes up and down, then going up and down on your toes while your sitting, plenty of walking, plenty of water and massage your feet too. Also a decent pair of shoes with plenty of room if they do swell, I found sketchers go walk amazing, like walking on a cloud.

• Advertisement
Advertisement