Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out Alone

Options
  • 22-06-2014 3:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Today none of the lads were around for various reasons so I went in to watch the game by myself, I left after first half as it was boring just got me thinking, do ye ever just head out for a night on the town by yourselfs, couldnt imagine being able to do it in my local town

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

astonaidan wrote: »
    Today none of the lads were around for various reasons so I went in to watch the game by myself, I left after first half as it was boring just got me thinking, do ye ever just head out for a night on the town by yourselfs, couldnt imagine being able to do it in my local town

I would have no problem with it but I find myself in company anyway usually.

My GF does it a lot and enjoys it. She is weird though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Bafucin wrote: »

I probably would find company if I went to the pubs, I just found it boring, saying that I never had a problem doing it in cities :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

She goes on nights on to pubs and clubs by herself?
    So you mind?
    Would she like you to go?
    V odd!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've moved about a fair bit so most of the time I either head out alone or stay in.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

whiskeyman wrote: »
    She goes on nights on to pubs and clubs by herself?
    So you mind?
    Would she like you to go?
    V odd!
    She goes to pubs and clubs by herself and with mates. But she does a lot of other things ..cafes ...etc. she would sit by herself sometimes...or sit for an hour or two by herself before she had arranged to meet a friend. But yeah she does a lot alone walks ..pubs clubs. ..classes

I would go sometimes with her but she likes her own company too.
    Do I mind?..neh :)..she is still weird though :-)

I think it relaxes her. She enjoys it. She is her own person.

I can hardly say hey love you can't go out on yer own now can I?

I wouldn't want her to feel she couldn't. I do wonder what she gets up to...not in like 'with who' ....but just what the mystery is about.

The next time I see her she will have made a new female friend or have brought back something from a walk. Sometimes I think maybe she does not ask me because I'll think she is daft.

And she is kinda daft ;)

It's good she has her emotional independence I guess. If she was needy I would moan like there was no tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I had some fun nights when I went out alone. Usually made friends for the night with groups who took pity on me for being alone. Even the times I didn't make friends, I was usually talking to a bar man while propping up the bar. It was grand. It's not something I'd get in a habit of doing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I went to the Zoo on my own on Saturday, got to see all the animals, didn't have to move on because someone else wanted to move on or spend longer than I wanted looking at any particular animal either.
    Chatted to people about the animals if and when I felt like it.
    Saw the Lion roaring, the otter getting fed, only time you can see the blasted thing... all that jazz.
    Was class... I did flood facebook with pictures of animals until my phone died but well facebook isn't people.
    Then later I caught up with my housemate, ran into another friend and ended up with a bunch of people for a pint or two in the pub.
    A grand day was had.

kiffer wrote: »
    I went to the Zoo on my own on Saturday, got to see all the animals, didn't have to move on because someone else wanted to move on or spend longer than I wanted looking at any particular animal either.
    Chatted to people about the animals if and when I felt like it.
    Saw the Lion roaring, the otter getting fed, only time you can see the blasted thing... all that jazz.
    Was class... I did flood facebook with pictures of animals until my phone died but well facebook isn't people.
    Then later I caught up with my housemate, ran into another friend and ended up with a bunch of people for a pint or two in the pub.
    A grand day was had.
    You see, Id have no problem doing the zoo thing by myself, it just drinking by myself I cant do, Im going to be a terrible alcoholic

Yup, I love spending time by myself. Might be a bit odd but I enjoy going for a coffee & reading my book for an hour or so. If I'm going out with friends I'll go in early for a few quite pints by myself first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I sometimes like going for an early pint about an hour before I meet friends (but only if it's a bar where I know I'll get a seat either at the bar or in the lounge area). I wouldn't do it on a busy weekend night though. While I took a year off last year, I sometimes went for an afternoon or early evening drink or two by myself and I met some really nice people, visitors etc that way that I'd never meet if I was with company. You get a lot of solitary people doing the same thing at those times and there is nothing odd about it.

Lunches, coffee etc I often do by myself and it wouldn't bother me but I wouldn't go to a nice restaurant in the evening requesting a table for one (unless I was on a business trip). That's something I just couldn't enjoy without company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Love a few pints on my own, esp if its to watch the footie, go for a cure on a sunday morning or just to grab one or two after a tough day in work.

Wouldnt bother me to go local in the slightest at night. Nab a chair at the bar and sure you'll chat away to anyone.
    Not so sure i could head into town on my own though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yep as i've gotten older its something I do a little.
    Again probably wouldnt head into town but wouldnt have an issue popping into a local and having a couple

There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing things by myself. I often find it funny when people say it's weird to go to things like the cinema alone. Well, from working in one for a few years, I can tell you that at least 60% of the people we had attending were by themselves.

I've often sat in cafes by myself to read, or would just sit somewhere to think, or go for a meal by myself. Heck, when I was younger, I would go out by myself to a pub. Don't do it now, just as I rarely go out any more.

Nothing wrong with it. Nothing weird. Some people just like their own company. I find it equally as odd that people feel like they need to surround themselves by people with everything they do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I go to places on my own quite a lot and often prefer it.

I wouldn't tend to do the nightclubbing thing on my own though I have done it outside of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Whatever about a dude out in pubs and clubs alone I think a woman out and about alone is a little more odd and out of place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing things by myself. I often find it funny when people say it's weird to go to things like the cinema alone. Well, from working in one for a few years, I can tell you that at least 60% of the people we had attending were by themselves.

I've often sat in cafes by myself to read, or would just sit somewhere to think, or go for a meal by myself. Heck, when I was younger, I would go out by myself to a pub. Don't do it now, just as I rarely go out any more.

Nothing wrong with it. Nothing weird. Some people just like their own company. I find it equally as odd that people feel like they need to surround themselves by people with everything they do.

I enjoy my own company but I do feel a bit awkward being the only person in a pub/bar or a restaurant on their own while everyone else is in a group of 2 or more. I've gone to plenty of gigs alone and regularly go to the cinema. I think it's the social aspect of the pub or restaurant that's a bit off-putting when you're alone.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

walshb wrote: »
    Whatever about a dude out in pubs and clubs alone I think a woman out and about alone is a little more odd and out of place.

Why is that? I often go to pubs, cafes or restaurants alone. I've only once gotten a weird look (that I've noticed), from an older man in a pub I went to for lunch on my own. No one else seemed to even notice me, a woman, on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

jokettle wrote: »
    Why is that? I often go to pubs, cafes or restaurants alone. I've only once gotten a weird look (that I've noticed), from an older man in a pub I went to for lunch on my own. No one else seemed to even notice me, a woman, on my own.

Not talking about coffee or lunch, more to do with night time out and about in pubs and clubs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Privileged White Male

Since I'm single I actually find going out by myself to be a much better way to meet women. For one thing I don't have worry about my friends screwing it up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Since I'm single I actually find going out by myself to be a much better way to meet women. For one thing I don't have worry about my friends screwing it up for me.

I thought the stigma of being seen alone would turn the ladies off. It's worth a shot though..!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I've went out on my own in several cities whilst abroad.
    Always ended up talking to other people and having the craic.

Do it less in Ireland as I can usually find someone to go for a pint.
    I often find it funny when people say it's weird to go to things like the cinema alone.
    I never got this either.
    You're sitting in a room where it's socially unacceptable to talk to other people.
    Why do you need to be with other people to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

FGR wrote: »
    I thought the stigma of being seen alone would turn the ladies off. It's worth a shot though..!!

Opposite, if you're a somewhat young normal looking type, they'd find it intriguing and it's an ice breaker. Then they likely take you into their group for the night

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I've done the cinema on my own a few times. At least there is no arguing about a movie:D
    Would prefer a DVD though as beer and curry at the cinema never seem to go down too well with the staff or other punters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Opposite, if you're a somewhat young normal looking type, they'd find it intriguing and it's an ice breaker. Then they likely take you into their group for the night

Ha that reminds me of a night many years ago where I had a little too much to drink and got separated from my friends. I was 'adopted' by 2 stunning American lesbians* who I hung around with for a few hours before heading home (alone). Weird night that was. Kind of a blur.

*true story. Think it was in Gogarty's in Temple Bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Or slagging you off when you get rejected. ;)

I think there is an element of that alright, especially if you go to the same place regularly or if you're approaching a lot of women.

I lived in a small town for a while and didn't really know anyone there so I went to the club a few times on my own. I got chatting to a few nice girls on occasion, but most of them just looked at me as if I was a dog with 10 willies.

I find it a lot easier to do it abroad. I don't think there's necessarily a stigma associated with going out alone in Ireland, but I do find the nightlife here to be fairly clannish, although it could just be the places I go to, but what I've noticed with the bars in other European cities is that people are more likely to chat to you if you're alone. I'm just not as comfortable doing it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I find it a lot easier to do it abroad. I don't think there's necessarily a stigma associated with going out alone in Ireland, but I do find the nightlife here to be fairly clannish, although it could just be the places I go to, but what I've noticed with the bars in other European cities is that people are more likely to chat to you if you're alone. I'm just not as comfortable doing it here.

Well, going out alone when abroad is always more acceptable, as you are unlikely to go out alone if you knew someone in that country.

People are more likely to chat to a lone foreigner here out on their own than a native out on his own. Why? I guess a foreigner is exotic/ice breaker ("why are you here?)

Well, going out alone when abroad is always more acceptable, as you are unlikely to go out alone if you knew someone in that country.

People are more likely to chat to a lone foreigner here out on their own than a native out on his own. Why? I guess a foreigner is exotic/ice breaker ("why are you here?)

Not really. An average caucasian male from say Canada, the U.S or certain parts of Europe wouldn't look and different from us. You're not going to know the nationality of someone before approaching or initiating conversation with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Privileged White Male

Not at all, as long as you don't look or act like a total freak there's no problem. They key is to go out in a social frame of my mind. Go to the smoking area of busy pub and strike up some conversations. Make sure you talk to men too, especially if you're talking to a mixed group. Winning over the men is often half the battle.
    Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Or slagging you off when you get rejected. ;)

I think there is an element of that alright, especially if you go to the same place regularly or if you're approaching a lot of women.

I lived in a small town for a while and didn't really know anyone there so I went to the club a few times on my own. I got chatting to a few nice girls on occasion, but most of them just looked at me as if I was a dog with 10 willies.

Gotta fly under the radar. Maintain the pretense that you want to get to know the girls for their beautiful minds and not get into their pants.

Also I never go prowling in clubs, way to hard to talk to chicks. Late bars are the way to go, especially the smoking areas. Make sure you always have a lighter.

Gotta fly under the radar. Maintain the pretense that you want to get to know the girls for their beautiful minds and not get into their pants.

Also I never go prowling in clubs, way to hard to talk to chicks. Late bars are the way to go, especially the smoking areas. Make sure you always have a lighter.

Well I hate smoke so I wouldn't be going anywhere near the smoking areas. Yeah it can be difficult to talk to people in clubs alright, but I still think its easier than approaching someone in a bar when they're sitting down. Unless you manage to get chatting to someone who is sitting beside you at the bar.

I don't think either of them are great options though tbh. The internet seems to be the way to go now. Any women I've met in the last 5 years have been through the internet in some shape or form. Although I think smart phones and social media have to a certain extent ruined the nightlife, as most people spend more time recording the moment than actually living it, so it has been a double edged sword.

• Advertisement

Tell me about it, on Saturday night my friend did it twice to me, tbf I didnt want the girl but still.
    Then on Sunday had my sister and my boss do it intentionally to me with the girl Im into at the moment, thinking they were hilarious

Advertisement