Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myth about watering plants on hot day

Options
  • 21-06-2014 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Is it true that water in plants are hot date or is it to be sunburnt? If so how can I deal with it in other words how can I treat sunburn on these and make sure that they recover and the leaves are no longer scorched

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

i presume you wrote that in a hurry because it took a while to decipher your post :pac: if you water the plants leaves they will scorch. if you just water the base its fine

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

i presume you wrote that in a hurry because it took a while to decipher your post :pac: if you water the plants leaves they will scorch. if you just water the base its fine
    Last time I is voice to text on here
    Had to water the leaves to apply fungicide
    Is there anyway to treat them ie will they recover and if so how can I aid their recovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I usually wait until the sun goes down to water the plants.

tbh i just googled that and looks like i gave you wrong info. ive always believed in the link to watering and scorching, but recent evidence contadicts same. did you over fertilize maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Sounds like the OP overfed his plants...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

tbh i just googled that and looks like i gave you wrong info. ive always believed in the link to watering and scorching, but recent evidence contadicts same. did you over fertilize maybe?

If that's the case how do I deal with fertiliser/ fungicide burn?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Why don't you start again and tell what you did, why you did it, what happened next.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If the leaves are scorched you cannot un-scorch them. I would suggest you give them a thorough 'wash' with plain water in the evening after the sun has gone. Then water them at the base - don't use the sprinkler, that just gives the impression you have watered them, give each plant a good drink. You should not need to do them every day then. You will just have to wait until new leaves have grown and possibly clip off the worst looking leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Watering during intense sunshine is best avoided, since the water can magnify the suns rays and damage the plant. As already stated, watering around the base is much better and can be done any time throughout the day.
    You have to just let the leaves repair themselves naturally.

The magnifying glass thing has been disproved. If it was true foliage in nature would be constantly burned during bright and showery weather. The reasons not to water during hot weather is that it is wasteful and not very effective as it evaporates away. When gardening under cover its not a good idea as it does not clear as well as outdoors and can lead to moulds etc.
    I see you have a number of different threads over the last while which seem to be related. Would you not tie them all together and give the full picture of what is wrong?

• Advertisement

He's referring to the op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

He's referring to the op

I thought it was aimed at me.

No, Carlowplayer has been asking about a few things relating to plant problems in different threads. Fungal problems, ways to treat fungal problems, what to do with plants, watering issues. If I try put the pieces together I think he is talking about the one thing.

Advertisement