Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€15,000 to replace VW Passat

Options
  • 21-06-2014 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

Hi all, need some good advice.

Looking to change my 06 VW Passat 1.9Tdi S for something around the same size and criteria are as follows:

*Compact Exec/Large Family Size
    *Must be big enough to carry bicycle
    *Diesel and after 08 when the new tax system came into play
    *Reliable and under 80,000 miles / 130,000km
    *Budget of €15k
    *Decent amount of kit and power (passat felt quite underpowered with 105bhp)

At the minute im looking at Seat Exeo Sport Tech, Octavia TDI RS, Mondeo 1.6TDCI Zetec, Accord 2.2d, BMW 320d.

Obviously the years differ (a 2009 3 series vs 2012 Exeo) but thats what im thinking so far.

If you could give your opinion on any of the above or indeed give your own options I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Hi all, need some good advice.

Looking to change my 06 VW Passat 1.9Tdi S for something around the same size and criteria are as follows:

*Compact Exec/Large Family Size
    *Must be big enough to carry bicycle
    *Diesel and after 08 when the new tax system came into play
    *Reliable and under 80,000 miles / 130,000km
    *Budget of €15k
    *Decent amount of kit and power (passat felt quite underpowered with 105bhp)

At the minute im looking at Seat Exeo Sport Tech, Octavia TDI RS, Mondeo 1.6TDCI Zetec, Accord 2.2d, BMW 320d.

Obviously the years differ (a 2009 3 series vs 2012 Exeo) but thats what im thinking so far.

If you could give your opinion on any of the above or indeed give your own options I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Would also put up a 2010/2011 Volvo S60 in there too......very nice on the road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭sparkynash

well did you change your car yet.....i bought the vw passat 1.6 and yes its under powered but try finding a decent 2.0 one for the right money the right miles and the right colour,,,,,there slim pickings unless you can wait for months for one...was gonna get the accord but if the tax ever changes ,mmmm id be stuck with a car thats worthless..the volvo yessss like them but its a ford engine is it not ,,,,,not the best really,,the bmw,s yeaaaa not trouble free and when the turbo goes be prepared to part with up to 4000 euro for a new one that before you pay to have it fitted...i spent months looking at cars and the more i looked the more i found that every single car has some fault its a question i guess of finding one with faults you can live with...lol...i had a corolla for 7 yrs and did 250000miles in that car i traded it in with 258000miles on it and it never ever once broke down in fact it cost nothing only fuel but i wouldnt buy another toyota as there not made like that no more....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

No still didn't replace it and realistically I have €13,500 now to give along with the Passat as a trade in.

Kinda set my sights on a Honda Accord 2.2 I-DTEC EX in a 2011 but very hard to come by!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd try selling the Passat privately, if it's in good shape then it should be easy enough to shift.

You could then look at buying an Accord up North like this:

134336247.400.jpg
    http://www.usedcarsni.com/2011-Honda-Accord-2-2-I-DTEC-ES-GT-4DR-HIGH-SPEC-133996571

GB£11K is roughly €14k, VRT using static code: 43086539 on the VRT website would roughly be €3,500, so landed your talking about €17,500. I reckon you should be able to get €4.5k or €5k for the Passat privately.

Advertisement