Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xperia Z1 and its amazing self cracking screen

Options
  • 21-06-2014 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

The screen cracked in my pocket yesterday, was literally using it and it was perfect, put it in my pocket, took it out 3 minutes later and it had developed cracks across the screen. Its also in a hard full case. The watchdog also had a piece on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnDZe9KEWyY&feature=share

Ive had the phone since november and from reading forums lots of people have had this problem. Has anyone managed to get it fixed or replaced under warranty? I heard Sony can be fairly difficult, Im with Vodafone. I emailed Sony and they had no information about what to do if it was purchased in Ireland only UK. Anyone have any recomendations about what I should do or what to expect? I plan do go into Vodafone on monday.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

XtotheZ wrote: »
    The screen cracked in my pocket yesterday, was literally using it and it was perfect, put it in my pocket, took it out 3 minutes later and it had developed cracks across the screen. Its also in a hard full case. The watchdog also had a piece on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnDZe9KEWyY&feature=share

Ive had the phone since november and from reading forums lots of people have had this problem. Has anyone managed to get it fixed or replaced under warranty? I heard Sony can be fairly difficult, Im with Vodafone. I emailed Sony and they had no information about what to do if it was purchased in Ireland only UK. Anyone have any recomendations about what I should do or what to expect? I plan do go into Vodafone on monday.
    Thanks

Go back to Vodafone and explain that Sony have admitted the issue, and push for a repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Same thing happened to my Xperia Z. Had to pay for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

I only had my xperia z1 compact three days, and I noticed today hairline crack in the middle. from top to the bottom of the screen.
    Not sure what to do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

I brought mine into Vodafone and he said that Vodafone havnt been notified about the fault and as it was issued in the Uk it may not nessesarily be covered. Its being to sent to their repair company with a note about the fault but i reckon itll be a slim chance itll be covered. I should hear back in the next few days with the story and an estimated repair cost.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Same here.My Z1 screen broke while it was sitting on a desk in front of me.

Sony wont entertain Ireland cases but they have admitted it in the UK.

I firmly believe that its a heat issue.The phone was playing music through wifi at the time and it was quite warm as the z series phones always get when on wifi.
    They are sealed that tight to be waterproof that I think they are expanding and the screens are cracking.

Its a pain that Sony have admitted it and are fixing UK phones and not phones here.But that was only after a UK watchdog programme brought it to light.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »

I firmly believe that its a heat issue.The phone was playing music through wifi at the time and it was quite warm as the z series phones always get when on wifi.
    They are sealed that tight to be waterproof that I think they are expanding and the screens are cracking.

Its a pain that Sony have admitted it and are fixing UK phones and not phones here.But that was only after a UK watchdog programme brought it to light.

Its absolutly bollox considering they cost nearly €600, defiently wont be going back for another Sony after this.

I took my phone to three shop, and they didnt want to take it. It was my 4th day since I bought it. The guy in the shop said that I must have damaged phone myself. So I asked him to show me where is the proof I damaged it myself, as there was no single scratch on the phone. (didnt use it much since i bought it)
    He then says that in that case, he will have to send for warranty fix, to which I pulled out print outs of sony statements , and link to bbc watchdog website. He took all that , went to talk to manager apparently, came back and said, he will have to send the phone to get replacement.
    I will update you guys on this.
    Overall I think its a joke. 500-700e devices and they brake like they are peace of glass. My 4 years old iphone fell out of my pocket on concrete, at 60 km/h, and screen didn't brake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Their response does not surprise me, given all the trouble that they had with the PS3 consoles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I brought mine into Vodafone and he said that Vodafone havnt been notified about the fault and as it was issued in the Uk it may not nessesarily be covered. Its being to sent to their repair company with a note about the fault but i reckon itll be a slim chance itll be covered. I should hear back in the next few days with the story and an estimated repair cost.

Keep at them imo, just get a cheap phone to tide you over. If you don't get any joy from there repairs, send them formal emails detailing your complaint. If that gets you nowhere start discussing the small claims court. As you say its an expensive phone, maybe even more so if you have a contract, why fork out more, consumer law is strong in ireland after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Except that on this site people will tell you that you got some time out of the phone and just pay.
    From being in the SCC for a PS3, the fact that they have admitted the error elsewhere will mean an immediate win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

There is an anti-shatter film over the screen (looks like a built in screen protector) but this is very very prone to scratches.

In contrast, I have a Galaxy S1, that is now getting on for 4 years old that has no discernible marks on the screen. This is compared to my 7 month old Z1 which looks like it's been in a war zone. Note that my SGS has never been in a case for long, and my Z1 has been in a wallet case since day 10 or so.

The case really doesnt help the scratches on the glass back if sand/etc gets trapped between the case and the phone.

I'll probably also avoid Sony in the future for phones.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Except that on this site people will tell you that you got some time out of the phone and just pay.
    From being in the SCC for a PS3, the fact that they have admitted the error elsewhere will mean an immediate win

How would you go about this?
    Do I send Sony the phone first for assessment?
    Do I just contact them and explain that Im not happy with the situation?
    Or just go balls out and go straight to the SCC?

My next phone wont be a Sony either.And Ive always had Sonys.
    From the X10,Play,Xperia T.Right back to the old flip phones of the early 2000s.But if I don't get this sorted they wont get another penny from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

How would you go about this?
    Do I send Sony the phone first for assessment?
    Do I just contact them and explain that Im not happy with the situation?
    Or just go balls out and go straight to the SCC?

My next phone wont be a Sony either.And Ive always had Sonys.
    From the X10,Play,Xperia T.Right back to the old flip phones of the early 2000s.But if I don't get this sorted they wont get another penny from me.

Your contract is with the shop you brought the phone, not with sony per se. You should be talking to the shop where you brought it, its there task to fix, refund or replace the phone. If they won't give you satisfaction in the shop write in a letter, if they see you are serious and being formal they know that you are more likely to take all the way to the SCC. It also give you a stronger case should it go to the SCC as you have proof you gave the shop every chance to fix the issue.

You can find more info here http://www.consumerhelp.ie/complain-to-a-business

Its a complete joke that Sony have yet to admit the issue over here (and in other countries too, possibly) - Its an issue they themselves have admitted to knowing about and they have yet to formally acknowledge it in a country where their phones are being sold on a daily basis. There should be a product recall for the model, and all networks and retailers should be notified by Sony themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Took my Z1 Compact out of my pocket and now have a cracked screen too.......never cracked any iphone screen in all the years I've used them. Should have stayed with the iPhone.

Phone is only 6 weeks old.

Took my Z1 Compact out of my pocket and now have a cracked screen too.......never cracked any iphone screen in all the years I've used them. Should have stayed with the iPhone.

Phone is only 6 weeks old.
    Take it to the store. Mine has been fixed free of charge. Have printouts from BBC watchdog website. Three shop I took my phone to, didn't want to take my phone until I showed them proof that sony admit there's an issue with the screen.

Yeah, I'll bring it back to the store. Mine heated up in my pocket and the screen was cracked when I took it out of my pocket.

Hopefully the O2 store will get it fixed.

Vodafone charged me 160 to get it fixed, Im going to bring Sony to the smalls claims court to try and get them to refund it.

Vodafone charged me 160 to get it fixed, Im going to bring Sony to the smalls claims court to try and get them to refund it.

You shouldn't have paid it in the first place.

Good luck getting a refund.

• Advertisement

Hmmmmmm....rang the O2 store and the screen is covered by my insurance, although there's an excess of 35 euro. That's fine but when I brought up the whole thing about cracking Sony screens she said that 'thats just the internet'.....

Apparently they've never come across a cracked Z1 compact screen before. That's obviously not true! Or at least highly unlikely. Getting a bit annoyed about the response here now....

Hmmmmmm....rang the O2 store and the screen is covered by my insurance, although there's an excess of 35 euro. That's fine but when I brought up the whole thing about cracking Sony screens she said that 'thats just the internet'.....

Apparently they've never come across a cracked Z1 compact screen before. That's obviously not true! Or at least highly unlikely. Getting a bit annoyed about the response here now....

It's not only Internet. They are trying to fob you off.
    See:
    http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/05/30/bbcs-watchdog-investigates-xperia-z1-cracking-screen-issue-sony-responds/

Thanks for that!!

I'm going to get back onto them. Bugs me on principle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

It is not surprising this is how this is being dealt with. As Norrie Rugger has said, this is how sony dealt with the heat problem they had with the PS3s. It is obviously more economical to lose a small percentage of customers.
    There are steps to take, as outlined by 'theteal' in the ps3 and small claims court thread
    Given that sony have ceded that there is a problem, albeit a small problem, it shouldn't be to difficult to convince a small claims court judge of your case.
    You need to make yourself familiar with 'The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980'. Section 14 (3) on 'of merchantable quality' in particular.
    Also the Small Claims Court procedures.
    Get to know these, and you will have to be persistent. Good luck.

Slick50 wrote: »
    It is not surprising this is how this is being dealt with. As Norrie Rugger has said, this is how sony dealt with the heat problem they had with the PS3s. It is obviously more economical to lose a small percentage of customers.
    There are steps to take, as outlined by 'theteal' in the ps3 and small claims court thread
    Given that sony have ceded that there is a problem, albeit a small problem, it shouldn't be to difficult to convince a small claims court judge of your case.
    You need to make yourself familiar with 'The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980'. Section 14 (3) on 'of merchantable quality' in particular.
    Also the Small Claims Court procedures.
    Get to know these, and you will have be persistent. Good luck.

A flagship phone this expensive with a self-cracking screen is far from a small problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Sam Mac wrote: »
    A flagship phone this expensive with a self-cracking screen is far from a small problem.
    I didn't mean to give the impression I felt it is a small problem, and I'm sure even sony know it is not a small problem for any individual. But sony will argue it is a small problem, percentage wise of production figures. They will play down the figures, to avoid having to publicly acknowledge the scale of the problem. As they did with PS3 ylod. I am surprised that sony have acknowledged that there is any issue this early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

twinsen wrote: »
    Take it to the store. Mine has been fixed free of charge. Have printouts from BBC watchdog website. Three shop I took my phone to, didn't want to take my phone until I showed them proof that sony admit there's an issue with the screen.

Hi, same thing happened with my Sony. Could you post a link to theBBC watchdog website? Also what service provider are you?

Advertisement